No announcement yet.

Server 2008 R2 Multiscoped/Subnet DHCP Server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 R2 Multiscoped/Subnet DHCP Server

I am presently researching how to set up DHCP Split Scope with a Delay on Secondary Server to support our network. Presently we have one DHCP server that is a virtual server. I planned to create a second DHCP server on a box for fault tolerance. We recently had a situation where the user could not reach the DHCP server and were unable to connect to resources. I have done this at a previous job and it worked fine, but that was in the days of not may vlan. We have many vlan and I plan to use the split-scope configuration wizard in Windows Server 2008 R@.

Has anyone had experience with using this tool? Did the split scope work well with multiple Vlans? Our Vlans are working well with our present DHCP server. If anyone has some guilder lines that would be helpful? I did find a step by step guide on how to set this up, but it didn't really mention anything about multiple vlan.

Last edited by VickyAllen2013; 6th May 2013, 21:46. Reason: typing error

Re: Server 2008 R2 Multiscoped/Subnet DHCP Server

DHCP and VLAN's aren't directly related. To set up split scopes for your VLAN's you need to create a scope for each VLAN on the first DHCP server and then use the Split Scope wizard to split each scope between the first and second DHCP server. You'll need to configure your DHCP relay agent to forward DHCP broadcasts to both DHCP servers.

Moved from coffee lounge to DHCP forum
      Last edited by Ossian; 7th May 2013, 07:14.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I'm also interested in this.

My experience with the split-scope wizard was unimpressive, to say the least. I ended up throwing the wizard-built scopes away and doing it by hand, as I learned on Server 2003. At least that works.

We use 2 DCs with DHCP for complete fault-tolerance, both as VMs. Each scope on both DCs has the entire scope range defined, and the first DC excludes the second half of the scope, while the second DC excludes the first half of the scope. Works a treat, as long as that division gives you the address space for your environment in case one of the DCs goes off-line for a while.

Assuming your address space is private (i.e. 172.16.x.x, or 192.168.1.x) then you should be able to scale the scopes as big as you need without fear of running out of space.
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **