No announcement yet.

Split Scope / Load Balancing Questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Scope / Load Balancing Questions

Hello Everyone,

I have a Server 2003 Domain level with 2 Server 2003 DC's and 1 Server 2008 R2 DC, currently DHCP is being housed on one of the 2003 DCs. We have multiple subnets on the network. We are in the process of moving, slowly moving, towards a Server 2008 domain level.

I am considering running DHCP servers on both the 2003 DC and the 2008 R2 DC. I want to use either a Split scope or use a loading balancing scope for all of the subnets i have defined.

I have a couple of questions though.

1. Will a split scope work with Server 2003 being the primary server or does the 2008 R2 server need to be the primary.
    2. Would it be best to migrate the DHCP settings over from the 2003 server to the Server 2008 R2, and then doing a split scope?
    3. Is it possible to just define the same scopes on each server and then make exclusion ranges on each server so that one DHCP server will hand out 1/2 of the range and then the other dhcp server will hand out the other 1/2 of the range.

ie... Range -
    DHCP server 1 has an exclusion range of - 192.168.254 - So the DHCP Server would hand out addresses from .1 to .99

DHCP Server 2 has an exclusion range of - - so the DHCP server would hand out addresses from .100 to .254

I am leaning towards option number 3....... i think

Thank You

Re: Split Scope / Load Balancing Questions

1. I don't think there's any such thing as a primary and a secondary DHCP server, at least not from the perspective of the DHCP servers themselves. Each server acts independently of the other.

2. Ultimately when you migrate your servers to Windows 2008 R2 you can create a split scope with the new split scope wizard in W2K8R2. You'll need to have 2 W2K8R2 DHCP servers AFAIK. I'm not sure if you can use the wizard to create a split scope with non W2K8R2 DHCP servers.

3. Instead of defining the full scope on each DHCP server and then configuring exclusions why not just define the scope on each server for the address range you want it to allocate. So on server1 the scope is and on the second server the scope is I don't see any benefit to defining the full range on each server and then using exclusions.