permanent ip for DHCP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permanent ip for DHCP?

I got some idea about dhcp server and i am now using it as a user in this server. The problem is that when i shut down my lap and turned it on again i can not get into internet again and waiting much time to get in cause this server has much of users

can i get permanent ip on my lap to be connected all the time?

Re: permanent ip for DHCP?

There is nothing in DHCP that stops you putting a static IP on another system (make sure it is either excluded or reserved on the DHCP server)

But I am not clear from the above -- is your laptop the DCHP server?
    What does "server has much of users" mean -- is the DHCP scope full -- if so, extend it
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK I will explain exactly my situation
      I am working in offshor rig and when asked IT technician for the network pass he said i will give u put you you may take much time to reach an ip to be connected cause we hv much users. As he said it took all day to be connected but if i disconnect my self or restarted win it takes much time to connect again
      so how can i overcome this problem and be connected all the time even after i restart win
      and i can not ask IT tech. to do anything for me

Comment

So you want to grab a permanent IP, depriving one of your co-workers of it?
        I suspect also there will be corporate policies to stop you doing things to your PC you should not do

Under the circumstances, I think all we can legitimately do is to refer you back to your IT department -- they have responsibility for the entire network and will make decisions in that light. Obviously if the IT team were to ask how to extend their DHCP scope, we could probably help more.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

even if you were able to look at your IP configuration, and figure it out, and assign a permanent IP to your computer rather than using dhcp, you would cause IP conflicts, because the DHCP server will still try to give it out.

If you don't control the environment, you can't do anything about this.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X