50/50 DHCP - Load Balance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50/50 DHCP - Load Balance

I am considering load balancing my DHCP servers by implementing a 50 50 split rule. The intention is to have zero subnet delay set to allow both servers to lease DHCP addresses at any given time.

Typically, when implementing this I understand it is recommended that one single 50% of the scope should be able to cope with the full load, i.e. enough addresses should be avaiable from one of the DHCP servers for ALL clients.

Lets say this isn't the case e.g. DHCP server 1 leases all the addresses in its scope, and DHCP leases the remainder - is this ok? In theory it isn't making the DHCP configuration fully fault tolerant like in the case of 80 20.

So, e.g. Server 1 Scope 10.1.1.1 - 10.1.1.122

Server 2 Scope 10.1.1.123 - 10.1.1.254

And we have 200 clients - therefore both scopes would be actively leasing IPs at all times.

If Server 1 went down, we could then manually configure server 2 to have a higher percentage than 50%.

Does this approach seem valid.

Re: 50/50 DHCP - Load Balance

Seems pretty valid to me.

You could just create the 2nd scope on your additional server and then enable that when you start experiencing problems. Just another option.

Comment

Re: 50/50 DHCP - Load Balance

If you are looking at DHCP failover might be worth looking at windows 2012 and scrap split scopes all together.
      Windows 2012 supports failover partners and you can have it on hot standby mode or load sharing mode.
      As MS puts it "the biggest improvement in DHCP in 15 years"
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
      X