X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 DHCP Clean Up

Hello All -

First timer......

I have a DHCP Pool with about 200 IP adresses. The system was setup before I started working at this job and noticed all Lease Experations are set to "infinite". There are laptop's and computers still on the DHCP list that havn't been here in months. I don't want computers on the DHCP list that are not active.

Does anyone know how I can clean up the DHCP and change the expirations without messing up connections on active computers currently on the network?

Thanks

Re: Windows Server 2003 DHCP Clean Up

TBH, I would just delete them. When the client next fires up it will request an IP address, giving its current one as a preference, so should get it back
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the reply. So, if I right click and delete and it will only delete the lease and not the actaul IP Address from the DHCP Pool?

Also, If the user computers are still on the network DHCP Pool will that tie up that IP so it will not give another computer that IP?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by daveofgv View Post
        Thank you for the reply. So, if I right click and delete and it will only delete the lease and not the actaul IP Address from the DHCP Pool?

Also, If the user computers are still on the network DHCP Pool will that tie up that IP so it will not give another computer that IP?

Thanks
        1. Yes that is correct.

2. It is a possibility.

Best bet is to do this out of hours.

Comment

Re 2:
          It is possible another computer may get the IP first -- it is the computer request that counts -- but if a computer has an existing IP it will include that as part of the request and (If I remember the RFC correctly) the DHCP server will try to issue that address if it can
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you - but it will not delete the IP from the DHCP Pool correct?

Since we have a pool of 200 IP's - and I right click to delete - that IP will stay in the pool?

Comment

The lease will be deleted so the IP will be available for re-issue. It will not remove the IP from the pool permanently
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Thanks. I just tested it on one IP Address.... I right clicked the IP in the Admin - DHCP and now it deleted the line in the Address Leases. I connected a computer to assigned it to the IP and works, however, in my DHCP it shows all IP's and computer names, but that IP does not show...( it skips that number)

The reason why I am doing this is because our new laptops (windows 7 - 64 bit) does not pick up a DHCP IP. I thought if I cleared them all out it will, but I have to give it a static IP.... I am using Windows Server 2003.

- How do I get the IP to be visible again in the Address Leases and if anyone can help why Windows 7 64 bit does not get DHCP IP?

I am stumpped.

Thanks in advanced.

Comment

Once deleted, the lease will not show up in the Address Leases part of the DHCP console until it has been re-issued. Remember to refresh the view!

Your Win7 laptop should have no problem picking up an IP if there are free leases -- are you sure the network card is set to automatic?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Yes, the laptops are set to automatic. Currently, I have them set to static IP since the laptops are not being issued an IP from our DHCP Pool.

Our National Network Admin is setting these up before shipping to us. He says he puts them on 2 different networks and the DCHP picks them up just fine. That's why I am wondering if it has to be my network here locally.

I have a Win 7 laptop and the DCHP Pool picks it up without error, however, my company laptop is a 32 bit. I wonder if our DHCP is not issuing to 64 bit machines?

Comment

DHCP is quite easy to understand once you read the RFC.
                      Please read it first before continue.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                      X