Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP server pool for "work" network and a "guest" network

Hello
    I am searching how to set up our Windows Server 2003 DHCP server to set up 2 scope's, but I can't find many info about this subject

I want 1 scope for the workstations and one scope for the "guest" network, used by (guest) Laptop's, smartphone's, etc.

I have found the function of Vendor ID and user class, so we can give for example all android, apple devices to a specific scope / IP-range.

Do you know maybe how this works of have usefull links for me?
    I've Googled a lot, but found not much information about this.

Re: DHCP server pool for "work" network and a "guest" network

A different approach would be to use different subnets for the different scopes. Use 1 vlan for workstations (VLAN25) and another for guests (VLAN35).

Any switch port used by your workstations, set that port to access vlan 25. Same for the guests, but use vlan 35.

Each vlan will have a gateway for that vlan, usually ip addresses on a physical or logical interface in a router. When a device in a vlan requests a DHCP address, the gateway which relays the request will include it's own gateway address from that vlan to the DHCP server. That's how the server knows which scope to issue an address from. So, 2 scopes, 2 vlans, 2 gateways. As long as you control which port a device plugs into, and the vlan assigned to that port, that's how you control which scope a device is on.

There's less work overall doing it this way, since you don't have to juggle class codes, etc. Simply plug a cable into the 'right' port and they're off.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

If it is possible I want to use it without vlan's, I know it will be difficult, but vlan's are not an option.

Do you know how to configure the (vendor) classes etc?
      I have found some Vendor ID's, but I don't know how to pair that with the right scope

Thx anyway for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisiesmit93 View Post
        If it is possible I want to use it without vlan's, I know it will be difficult, but vlan's are not an option.

Do you know how to configure the (vendor) classes etc?
        I have found some Vendor ID's, but I don't know how to pair that with the right scope

Thx anyway for the tip!
        Personally RicklesP is right. Setup VLANs and an IP helper address.

Comment

If you're really set on separating your traffic using the vendor ID, etc., you'll have an admin nightmare of testing/verifying new IDs every time some new piece of kit comes along, which is just about once a week, it seems.

According to a blog I've just found using , you might want to read this blog: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...8-671e71f5b79a

There's a link in there to an MS paper on doing pretty much what you're after, under Server 2008R2. Ultimately it looks like MS are making this sort of thing standard in Server 2012, but that's the best solution I can offer.

Pls don't forget to add rep points if this helps you.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Sorry, I had forgotten to say that I had found that userfull tool also, but our server is running Windows server 2003, so it will not work (have tested it)

Comment

What is the reasoning behind wanting to have/need the two scopes? If we know why then there may be an alternative option that may meet your requirements.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                What is the reasoning behind wanting to have/need the two scopes? If we know why then there may be an alternative option that may meet your requirements.
                One for corporate and one for guests.

Comment

Yes, we understand that, but WHY are you trying to do this?
                  (And please don'e say "to separate the corporate and guest computers" -- why is the separation needed?)
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    Yes, we understand that, but WHY are you trying to do this?
                    (And please don'e say "to separate the corporate and guest computers" -- why is the separation needed?)
                    To seperate corporate and guest networks.

It was me that answered Chris's question so i really can't answer your one, hopefully it wasn't directed at me.

Comment

Sorry, I thought it was the OP who had replied -- that'll teach me to read posts properly in future
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X