Issues after resubnetting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues after resubnetting

Last year I was running out of IP addresses so I change the subnet mask (method: resubnetting), deleted the entire DHCP scope and recreated with new subnet mask. Scope is 192.168.30.1 to 192.168.31.254 subnet 255.255.254.0 - I am running Windows Server 2003 std with a parent/child domain for a small school. IPís are handed out just fine by the dhcp server but when an ip from 192.168.31.x is handed out to a machine in the parent domain, it will not map the network drives. If a machine is handed out a 192.168.31.x ip it will not allow you to join the parent domain. However it will allow you to join the child domain and map the drives for that domain. Which leaves me to believe my problem lies somewhere elseÖ. Any suggestion on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Issues after resubnetting

If You are using one scope to service hosts from two domains, you are going to have name resolution challanges because I assume that you are configuring all of these hosts with the same domain suffix option (015). Without your clients fully qualifying the host names, you will run into the problem you described.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

I have a parent & child domain, so I use domain. for the parent and student.domain for the child. This setup existed when I took over so I left it and I had no problems before I tried to extend my available ip's by resubnetting.

So are you suggesting that I create separate non-overlapping scopes, one for the parent and another for the child domain?

Comment

Sorry I missed the 015 reference, yes I am using the parent domain for that reference.

Also I have only 1 dhcp server at this time and it is on the parent domain.

Comment

I would check all your statically configured servers to make sure they have the proper subnet mask. If they don't then computers with a 192.168.31.x address won't be able to communicate with those servers.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

You where right - there was one where the subnet was not changed -- I can't believe months of looking for the issue that was right under my nose. Bad thing is that I had it on my checklist to change and it was checked off -- uuuurr

thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X