Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fortigate DHCP enabled while DC DHCP enabled

Hi,

I have Fortigate 60B, and I noticed that on Fortigate 60B there are 2 issues that I would like to understand:

1. The DHCP is enabled on the FW and On the Domain Controller (win 2008 R2) as well. from my understanding only one should give addresses, right ? who should it be ?

2. the IP range which the FW is giving DHCP addresses is between x.x.x.100 - x.x.x.200 only.
    DHCP address pool range on the windows 2008 R2 server is between x.x.x.100 - x.x.x.199

Isn't this Odd ? should I change / Disable one of them ?

Thanks

Re: Fortigate DHCP enabled while DC DHCP enabled

Unfortunately this is the way it works. You need to turn one of them off. I'd say stick with windows 2008 as it gives you more configuration options and is easily managed.
    AFAIK the Windows DHCP server service is not able to detect other vendor and pre-W2K DHCP servers and disable the service.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

If you want to have two DHCP servers online, you should consider not overlapping the scopes. For instance, one can assign addresses from the 100-150 range while the other issues addresses from the 151-199 range. Since this is not a DHCP cluster, they are not aware of each other nor do they "compare" or "sync" their scope settings. In the event that you have two DHCP servers, you need to make sure that your scope options are the same as well. For example, both DHCP servers need to assign the same mask, gateway, and DNS client options.

If you only want one DHCP server, I would also go with the Windows option as it usually provides more options and integration with AD, when compared to non-windows appliances. Its up to you though.
      JM @ IT Training & Consulting
      http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

there might also be a good reason for this.
        Is your Fortigate handling VPNs? Is it maybe assigning IP addresses to clients?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Wouldn't that be on the external interface if that was the case?
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X