Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Address issue

Hi,

After a reboot of all my networking appliances including SW, FW, and all servers and workstations, I have 2 computers which has duplicated IPs but, when I ping the computer name i get their own IPs.

when I delete their IP from the list of address leases in DHCP and verify that the IP is not listed as reserved and I try to give the computer this IP it is saving it, but when i do IPCONFIG I get the address 169... which is not the IP i assigned.
    I go to the DHCP and I see the signed IP as Bad ADDRESS.

what can I do with this kind of errors ?

Does this IP will be BAD for ever ?

Thanks

Re: Bad Address issue

When a DHCP server tries to issue a lease, but a conflict is detected, the IP is reserved as a "BAD_ADDRESS" lease. This lease expires after 1 hour. If the DHCP server tries to issue that IP again, the same issue will occur if the IP conflict has not been resolved.

From a computer on that same subnet, PING it from a command prompt. If you get a response, then look at your ARP cache (arp- a), and get the MAC address of that system. You could look up the MAC address in your switch's MAC tables (if they are managed switches), then follow the network cable until you find the device. Generally, this occurs when someone assigns a static IP to their device when the IP falls within a DHCP range.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

could that be any ghost or hidden network adaptor?
      1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
      2. At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
      3. Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER: start devmgmt.msc
      4. Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager.

NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Managers before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.
      5. When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.
      6. Type exit at the command prompt.

Comment

Originally posted by dnleong View Post
        could that be any ghost or hidden network adaptor?
        1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
        2. At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
        3. Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER: start devmgmt.msc
        4. Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager.

NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Managers before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.
        5. When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.
        6. Type exit at the command prompt.
        That's got nothing to do with that am afraid.
        [JM] explanation is pretty complete as far as the information provided by the OP is concerned.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X