X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP not updating DNS?

Hello,

We have started to have lookup problems in out network. When a new client gets an IP address, DHCP doesn't update DNS with the record.

Windows 2008 R2 Server.

The DHCP and DNS are on the same box (which is also the primary DC).

I have checked the event viewer logs for the DHCP and DNS server but nothing is present?

Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Re: DHCP not updating DNS?

Normally it is the client which updates DNS -- unless it is old enough that it will not, in which case the DHCP server will do so
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are you getting duplicate records or multiple records for the same IP?

If so you may want to enable aging and savaging on the DNS server. This should clean out the old records that clients fail to unregistered.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Have you upgraded DHCP at some point and DNS?

This is worth a review.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...34(WS.10).aspx

It may be that the DHCP server isn't the owner of the DNS records.

Comment

Have you tried checking the DNS dynamic updates registration credentials in the Advanced tab of your DHCP server properties. Perhaps it could be an incorrect username / password or a locked account ,etc

Comment

How to help you determine the cause of the issue and fix is going to determine on whether or not you have your DHCP server(s) configured to update DNS on behalf of your clients. Can you validate this information?

For Win2000 and later, my preference is to allow clients to do so nativley. However, many admins configure DHCP to register regardless.

If you are using DHCP for registration, it could be rated to a change in config, lack of permissions, DHCP service account, dnsproxyupdate group membership, etc. .

Also ck on the DNS zone on if for dynamic updates.

Again, the knowing your setup would help on next steps.
            JM @ IT Training & Consulting
            http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Originally posted by noor_salafi View Post
              Have you tried checking the DNS dynamic updates registration credentials in the Advanced tab of your DHCP server properties.
              Many Thanks. That certainly worked in my case. I can honestly say that I've never even noticed those settings before.

Regards,
              Stephen

Comment

Working...
              X