best way to migrate from router DHCP to windows server DHCP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to migrate from router DHCP to windows server DHCP

We are currently running a SonicWall TZ210 firewall/router and I want to migrate to a Windows Server 2008 R2 installation of DHCP to allow for WDS use. I am thinking of installing DHCP on my secondary Domain Controller

As I have never done this kind of migration before what is the best way to go about it?
    Last edited by bakesale; 1st November 2011, 19:43.

Re: best way to migrate from router DHCP to windows server DHCP

On Sonicwall, reduce lease length to very short (1 hour) - do this well in advance.
    Install DHCP Role and authorise server
    Create scope with reservations etc
    Authorise scope on Server, turn off on sonicwall
    Wait for leases to be picked up

Note that devices renewing their lease should request the same IP address and get it if it is free, so there should be no conflicts.

How big a network?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Network is 9 servers that need static IPs, 39 wired workstations and WiFi(which also runs off the sonicwall)

should I do a ipconfig /release /renew instead of waiting for it to renew the lease on a few machines to ensure it's working?

Comment

Yes you can, but the 1 hour lease means you won't need to wait for long....
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would recommend that you enable conflict detection on the Windows DHCP server. If it tries to issue an IP that is already in use (because the new scope has no leases, but there are leased IPs out there), it will create a temporary BAD_ADDRESS lease for an hour. If your SONICWALL DHCP lease is set to 1 hour, everything will work itself out within an hour.
          JM @ IT Training & Consulting
          http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Working...
          X