Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanding subnet.

Hello Team,

Im trying to expanding the subnet on my network but Im having issue. see if you guys can give me a hint.

currently i have subnet of
    IP: 192.168.99.x
    sub: 255.255.255.0
    gw: xxx.xxx.99.1

I want to add a 192.168.98.0 to my network so I did the following
    Ip: 192.168.98.x
    Sub: 255.255.254.0
    GwL xxx.xxx.99.1

my .98 subnet can see the .99 subnet fine. but the .99 subnet cannot see .98.
    even I do
    IP: 192.168.99.x
    sub: 255.255.254.0

What am I missing?

Thanks,
    HN

Re: Expanding subnet.

Your numbers look correct. Just make sure all your hosts have 255.255.254.0 as their subnet mask.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Correct, according to:

http://www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet.php?net_class=B
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I can confirm that the numbers are right and should be working, as we have exactuly the same setup (well, our range is 192.168.192.X)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.192.105
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.193.252

As you can see, My computer is on the 192.168.192.X, while most of the Servers, Networking Equipment,Printers, NAS's and everything else is on the 192.168.193.X, and both can see each other fine.

The first thing I would Try is do a Tracert From A to B, then go to B and see how far back you can ping to find where its dropping everything.

Other then that I would Check host files, Arp Tables and DNS/DHCP to see if there is something taking an import IP.

Also, are you trying both ranges from the same OS? Could on be ipV6 compat while the other is not (Have you setup IPv6 in your internal Network?(Considering the ranges.... no (But who has)))

Thanks,
        Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

I test in my vm test environment and it also works. but when I implementing in my productions it doesnt.
          Im not sure if the switches and files and has anything to do with it. I havent change anything in my network except 2 clients. on on .99 and .98
          I will look into traceroute and ipv6.

I will keep you guys update on this.

Thanks
          HN

Comment

Do you have switches and have configured vlans in your network? I would check it from there first, If i do have communication between the two subnets. I may be able to access the other subnet, but for the other subnet i may not be allowed. Hope this gives you an idea. But anyway if this is not relevent you may always ignore..Dont stop researching..
            Ronuel
            MCP
            There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Comment

Yes, 2nd NonoRonuel.

vlan will do exactuly what you have discribed, once again, becuse we actuly have a firewall that is semi isolated like this (ours is like this for a reason).

To confirm its not your switches, go by some stupid switches (the cheaper the better :P ) and use them. Some switches will try to put different subnets into vlans by default (I believe one realease of the HP procurves did this, as well as some Linksys).

Get a no name switch and test with that to remove network equitment as the problem.

Wofen
              Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
              X