Setting up 2008 R2 DHCP Cluster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up 2008 R2 DHCP Cluster?

Single site here. Looking at converting over 3500 or so static clients to DHCP. Already have DHCP up and running which does issue some addresses to a few areas. I have read a little on the 80/20 50/50 and 100/100 rules.

Was thinking about trying the cluster option though, since I have the servers available to do it. I currently have it running on one VM server and installed on a physical in the event I need to bring it up. Anyone done this cluster option, or have some suggestions?

From what I have read, I may have to use a third server that has two partitions that will actually house the db. One that is written to etc and the other that is used to sync between the actual 2 servers??? Was curious about that. Isnt one of the main thing, fault tollerance? I thought I would only need the two, then if one goes down the other is there. I dont have to worry about a certain percentage of devices not working if their lease were up.

So if i need to have another location for the db, anyone have a suggestion??? I also have a server setup running DFS which points to space allocated on our SAN. Could I setup the db there on the SAN then use a DFS namespace pointer to point to it from the actual 2 DHCP servers in the cluster??

Re: Setting up 2008 R2 DHCP Cluster?

Clustering for DHCP is overrated.
    Just go for the 50/50 rule and make sure you got enough IP addresses when one of the DHCP servers fail
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
    X