No announcement yet.

Do I require a Router?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I require a Router?

This IT Setup comprises of 1 Windows Server 2008 R2, 20 sets of (Monitors + Key Boards + Mice), 2 stand-alone Desktop PCs, few Laptops, 2 Network Switches (Unmanaged, Layer 2), NComputing devices, and an Internet Connection (Wimax type, leased line) terminating itself through a CAT5e ethernet Cable.

The 20 sets are using the Windows Server 2008 R2 as their shared CPU box using the NComputing Virtualization environment - but I am not discussing Virtualization here.

The Windows Server 2008 R2 is used as a DHCP Server also, and there is no other DHCP Server pesent in the Setup.

Now, we want to use the Internet Connection.

The method suggested by the service provider is to connect their CAT5e ethernet Cable to either a Managed Switch, or a Router, or a computer configured as a Proxy Server. And confgure it with the IP Address settings provided by them. And from the Router, a cable is to be connected to the Network Switch.

What we did: We connected the CAT5e ethernet Cable to the Unmanaged, Layer 2 Switch we have (DES-1024D 24-Port Switch). And configured the IP Address (Static IP, Subnet Mask, and DNS details) in the Windows Server. Surprisingly, some computers are connecting to the Internet! While, others are not. To be a bit more specific, all 20 sets are connecting to Internet. And a Windows 7 laptop is also connecting to Internet. While another laptop with XP as the OS is though showing same DNS (as provided by the sevice provider, and also configured in the Windows Server) and a different IP Address. It is not connecting to the Internet.

Now, firstly I want to understand this (strange to me) behaviour.
    And secondly that should we connect a Router in the setup, or doing a bit of configuration in the Windows Server could serve our purpose? On another note, I am not sure to make the Windows Server as a Proxy Server in case that could negatively affect the performance of the 20 sets of users sharing this Server?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Re: Do I require a Router?

So you dont have a router on your local side of this connection? Something doesnt make sense... without a router on site, the ISP must have provided you with a gateway address and a range of IPs that you can use on your subnet.

On your DHCP server, you would create a scope that encompasses this IP range. In the scope, you'll need to set option 003 (router: gateway address), option 006 (DNS servers: use your internal servers preferrably), option 015 for dns suffix and others that you need.

All of your internal hosts should have this same configuration. The only thing unique would be the actual IP per host. the rest of the config..subnet mask, gateway, DNS servers, should be the same.

there is no need to introduce a proxy server to get this design to work. You would introduce the proxy is there is a business or security need to drive that design.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting