DHCP on Server 2008 R2 - 80/20 or ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP on Server 2008 R2 - 80/20 or ???

Did Server 2008 R2 add anything into the mix with reservations for hosts?

I know of the 80/20, 50/50 models, but does the new version allow for reservations for machines to either be made in or replicated to the other DC's so that hosts consistantly get the same IP address regardless of which DC they go do?

Re: DHCP on Server 2008 R2 - 80/20 or ???

I do not beleive reservations are replicated...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Ok, thanks. For scenerio's where you want to keep the IP address the same on each computer do you personally recommend just doing this in the router then, hardcoding it into each machine's network settings or another method?

Comment

How many are we talking about -- I normally use static IPs for servers and DHCP for clients
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I only have 12 but use Real VNC and ip's are easy since I numbered them according to where they are at and it's easy to keep in my head which one is which.

Comment

Is this at home or in a company? You've mentioned using both Windows Server for DHCP as well as using a router... which is it?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Is this at home or in a company? You've mentioned using both Windows Server for DHCP as well as using a router... which is it?
              I am using it in my Server (and not the router). I was asking about dual reservations in Server 2008.

Sometimes the client gets an IP from the other DHCP and there is no longer a reservation. I was wondering if it would be better for me to do it in the router since I can't control which DHCP server they are getting the address from.

Also, this is in a small business environment.

Comment

If you're using the servers for DHCP, then I'd turn it off on the router...

I don't use DHCP for anything that needs a fixed IP - servers, printers etc. If it doesn't need a fixed IP (workstations etc) then they don't get one. As such, I have no need for DHCP reservations in any case. Should you need them, then create them on both servers - one option would be to always create them on one server and then automate the export of that server's configuration to other servers.

Keep in mind that this is not the same as 80/20 or 50/50 splits as in your first question, since when you split the scope, two servers are not given the same address ranges. Therefore, you could not create the same reservation on both servers.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                  If you're using the servers for DHCP, then I'd turn it off on the router...

I don't use DHCP for anything that needs a fixed IP - servers, printers etc. If it doesn't need a fixed IP (workstations etc) then they don't get one. As such, I have no need for DHCP reservations in any case. Should you need them, then create them on both servers - one option would be to always create them on one server and then automate the export of that server's configuration to other servers.

Keep in mind that this is not the same as 80/20 or 50/50 splits as in your first question, since when you split the scope, two servers are not given the same address ranges. Therefore, you could not create the same reservation on both servers.
                  Ok, thank you. I may just need to start using RealVNC by hostname so that if I am using DHCP and the addresses change I can still connect to them easily. Even for a few computers, static Ip's seem like a pain. That is essentially why I wanted to use static (is for ease with remote connectivity).

Comment

DHCP isn't integrated with AD that I'm aware of and DHCP clients aren't homed to a particular DHCP server that I'm aware of. On a side note, W2K8R2 has a split scope wizard to assist in creating a scope split amongst multiple servers. Personally I like a 50/50 scope.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                      DHCP isn't integrated with AD that I'm aware of and DHCP clients aren't homed to a particular DHCP server that I'm aware of. On a side note, W2K8R2 has a split scope wizard to assist in creating a scope split amongst multiple servers. Personally I like a 50/50 scope.
                      Great, I'll look into it. I have one server on 2008R2 but the other is currently on 2008. I am looking to upgrade to R2 anyway so I'll do some testing.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                      X