Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differant IP range from Differant Scopes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differant IP range from Differant Scopes!

Hello,

I've a W2K3 DHCP server, that has more than 1 scope. I want to tell my WinXP
    DHCP clients to get IP from a specific scope. E.g

Clients 1-10 should receive IP from Scope1
    Clinets 11-100 SHould receive from Scope 2
    Wireless Clients from Scope 3

Is there a way? Please can someone put a brief on DHCP server side and client side required configuration?
    Insaf Muhammed
    System Admin
    -----------------
    Never break four things in life: TRUST, PROMISE, RELATIONS & HEART. Cause when they break they don't make noise but pains a lot

Re: Differant IP range from Differant Scopes!

Are your clients all on the same physical subnet with no seperation???

Comment

No,

The 3 scopes are setup with 3 subnets

Scope 1 - 192.168.10.XX ( VLAN for Sales Dept PCs)
      Scope 2- 192.168.20.XX (VLAN for purchasing and HR)
      Scope 3 - 192.168.50.xx (Wireless clients, office commuters)

All these clients are part of windows domain xxx.abc.com. I only want to know if I connect an XP PC from Sales Dept, how is it necessarily getting an IP from scope 1 which is for Sales VLAN, and the same for PCs in purchasing and HR.

I am not much into networking and Cisco because the N/W team has done the cabling, VLANs and the switches part.

Googling brought in ideas about ports tagging to VLANs and set up DHCP rely agent in the router.......I AM JUST NOT CLEAR IN THIS PART. Appreciate some clarification over here!!

It's all a single DHCP server in the domain, what are the other resources required in case?
      Insaf Muhammed
      System Admin
      -----------------
      Never break four things in life: TRUST, PROMISE, RELATIONS & HEART. Cause when they break they don't make noise but pains a lot

Comment

On each of your VLAN's you will need to add the IP Helper command to tell it where to go for a DHCP address.

Your network team should know this though.

If your kit is Cisco then the command is ip helper-address x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the ip address of your DHCP server.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          On each of your VLAN's you will need to add the IP Helper command to tell it where to go for a DHCP address.

Your network team should know this though.

If your kit is Cisco then the command is ip helper-address x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the ip address of your DHCP server.
          Hello, Thanks for the tip!

But one qu., once I enable the IP helper command will each scope start leasing addresses to the relevant subnets? Is this IP helper itself is called DHCP relay gent? ..I was reading the relay agent should be enabled from the router. if so what is the remaining configuration or this is it?
          Insaf Muhammed
          System Admin
          -----------------

Comment

It should start picking up the correct scopes if it can determine what the IP range is that it should be getting.

More info on IPHelper here

http://routergod.com/trinity/

Comment

Working...
            X