Is this a virus?? Odd dhcp lease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a virus?? Odd dhcp lease

This is a new SBS 2008 install with the trial forefront security installed.
    There is a lease listed in dhcp for something called VirusInProgress.domain.local

What the heck is that? I deleted it and now its back again.

Re: Is this a virus?? Odd dhcp lease

Check what's connected to the network.

You should be able to see the MAC address for the lease - from that you can usually work out the manufacturer of the device, or at least the device's NIC. That might help you narrow it down.

The hostname looks somewhat alarming, but my initial thoughts would be that any virus would try a lot harder to hide itself
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Is there by chance another router on your network that also has a DHCP server built into it? Linksys, NetGear etc.

Originally posted by Bolivar View Post
      This is a new SBS 2008 install with the trial forefront security installed.
      There is a lease listed in dhcp for something called VirusInProgress.domain.local

What the heck is that? I deleted it and now its back again.

Comment

Do you allow staff to use their own home laptops at the office? I bet that someone is using a machine named virusinprogress...

Some of our staff use their machines here and I see some funny names appearing in DHCP and DNS. It's the name of their computers
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
        X