Windows Deployment Services and Sonicwall DHCP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Deployment Services and Sonicwall DHCP

I have my Windows 2008 AD DS and WDS on the same server. But my DHCP is on a SONCIWALL firewall router. Can anyone help me get PXE to work.
    Thank you

Re: Windows Deployment Services and Sonicwall DHCP

Put DHCP where it should be, on a server.

I know that sounds like an obvious cop out answer, but it really is better to have DHCP on a server than an edge device. You get AD integrated DNS updates for all of your clients, for example.

It should work as is though, unless the server is on a different subnet from the clients. PXE options in DHCP should only be needed if the DHCP server and WDS Server are the same server, or if the DHCP server and WDS Server are in different subnets.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

my boss wont allow my DHCP server on the AD server. If they ever need to reboot it, they wont loose internet.

Comment

That's a very silly reason for having DHCP on the router, not least because it's not true. DHCP leases do not automatically drop when the server is rebooted. If you did lose internet when a server was rebooted, it would be because it was a DNS server, and if you have more than one DNS server then split the DHCP scope 80/20 across the 2 of them for redundancy.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Have a lok thorugh this thread and see if it helps.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-2a1007b205ae/

I'm also advocating the installtion of DHCP on the server rather than the router.

Comment

With all due respect to Cruachan, screw the 80/20 scope and go for a 50/50 split. IMO the 80/20 split is way passed its used by date.

Also, with Windows Server 2003, there was an issue when using PXE when the Server had 2 NICs. I do not know if this was rectified with Server 2008 and WDS however it could be overcome by adding the appropriate information in Option 60 & 66 to DHCP. Sorry but its been a while since I first researched this so I am unable to be more specific and it may not apply to your operation. I am sure others shall correct or add further data to my post if I am in error.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hopefully you've figured this out since it's been a while. I just setup a DHCP server on my SonicWall so I could have one zone for WDS clients that couldn't get anywhere but my network. Anyway...

In the DHCP config page (for the scope you are using), make sure that the "Allow BOOTP Clients to use Range" option is checked on the General tab. On the Advanced tab, put the server IP in the "Next Server" box, and "boot\x86\Wdsnbp.com" in the "Boot File" box. This worked for me.

Apparently the SonicWall DHCP doesn't send Option 60 and/or 66 the right way if you just configure them as options, which is why it may not be working for you. Also, for some reason I seem to get one TFTP timeout before a client actually connects to the network, but that isn't a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1002 View Post
                my boss wont allow my DHCP server on the AD server. If they ever need to reboot it, they wont loose internet.
                WTF? I wanted to drink the beer that is your boss, but realised it's not a full six pack.

You won't lose internet if the server goes down and it's hosting DHCP.
                That's because DHCP is a fairly low-importance protocol. Clients will maintain a lease for up to 8 days before it becomes a problem.

And, if your server is down for more than 8 days, and noone has implemented workarounds, or DR Procedures, well, you've got a whole raft of other problems
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

While I get the point people are trying to make, I suspect it's not really helpful to keep telling this guy how wrong his boss is. There's only so much you can argue with your boss, and at the end of the day you have to listen to them (or quit). Just my two cents.

Comment

Old thread but just to take it a bit further , if the Server is a DC then I assume it has DNS running on it. When the Server is rebooted then DNS goes down with it, ergo, Internet is lost. Of course there may be a second DNS entry in the Sonicwall DHCP.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

dns is over-rated. I browse the internet only by IP address.
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                        dns is over-rated. I browse the internet only by IP address.
                        I assume you mean IPv6?
                        gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Of course, and without any contractions
                          2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by gerth View Post
                            I assume you mean IPv6?
                            actually.. I'm a beta tester for super-secret MIL-ARPA-v8Net.

It's a project being [THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED DUE TO NATIONAL SECURITY PURPOSES]

Comment

Ah yes, the one where the full 256bit address MUST be entered in binary using the specially supplied switch box
                              Tom Jones
                              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X