Dhcp ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dhcp ??

Training Course questions: (Edited with answers)

1. Assume a DHCP Server is configured with a lease of 30 days. A Windows client receives
    an IP address from this server and 5 days later, when the client machine boots, the DHCP
    server which assigned the IP address is not available. Explain what will happen. Be very
    specific in your answer.

If the DHCP server is unavailable the client will try to ping the previously assigned default gateway to determine if itís on the same network. If the gateway responds and the lease hasnít expired the client retains the IP Address. If the gateway doesnít respond the client will send a discover packet to begin the lease process over.

2. If your server had two network cards and you wanted it to provide DHCP services through
    only one of the cards, where would you configure this?

You can configure these settings through DHCP - IPv4 - properties - Advanced - Change server connection bindings: Bindings

3. Explain when it would be practical to define a new user class?

It would be practical to define a new user class when you want some workstations in the network to be able to use a specific router as their default gateway or specific DNS server as their server.

4. Explain when a super scope should be created?

A superscope should be created when you are running out of IP addresses on a network. For example assume the DHCP is set up to use the scope 192.168.0.0. Then you want to add another scope from the same class (Class C), so you can use 192.168.1.0, then continue 2,3,4 etc.

5. What does it mean if your computer is configured with an IP address from the 169.254
    network?

If your computer is configured with an IP address of 169.254 it means that you lost connection to the network so your system is not able to find a DHCP server to get an IP address from automatically. So, in this situation, Windows will automatically assign an IP address to itself starting with 169.254. This procedure is called Automatic Private Internet Protocol Addressing (APIPA).
    Last edited by Jtek; 14th October 2017, 03:22.

Homework time?

Perhaps you can explain whether this is a real issue or part of a training course - if it is the latter, you should research it yourself - by all means post the answers for comments
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Training course.

Comment

Can I suggest you investigate yourself and if you want, post your solutions here for critique - that way, you will learn from it whereas if you just take someone elses answers you wont (I speak as a trainer). All the answers are fairly well known to most system admins so, with the help of (other search engines are available) you should have no problem finding them.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I tried research but no avail but im testing to find the ouput if correct will post answers below the questions in the first post.
          Last edited by Jtek; 13th October 2017, 22:11.

Comment

1. 50% and then 7/8ths
            2. [EDIT: Sorry, misread the original question]
            3. No comment as I have used different reasons for different reasons.
            4. Yes, but what is the magic ingredient that makes it work?
            5. Probably the easiest of all these questions. [Clue: APIPA]

If this is for a Training Course, is it classroom based or a CBT? If either then I hope you are not paying for it because this should be explained by your destructor. Ossian is an MCT and I am 110% certain that all this will be covered in courses he runs. Also, this is really basic stuff and apart from Question 5 which didn't exist when I did my MCSE training 19 years ago, it was covered in Network Essentials and the TCP/IP part of the training so Thank You, New Rider books, all 14" (36cm) thick stack of you.

My favourite, least favourite book was Mastering Windows Server 2003 co-written by the brilliant Mark Minasi and others. THREE bloody inches thick (75mm) and weighing just under 7 pounds (3KG) but it had an electronic version and was an excellent reference. The most difficult book that I read was New Riders TCP/IP with 17 Chapters but 11 different authors and they all had different writing styles so be careful about books or tutorials that have multiple authors.

While Mastering Windows Server 2003 is long past it's use by date, there is one that I would recommend obtaining. Upgrading and Repairing PCs by Scott Mueller . I initially purchased the Second Edition and my present copy is the Fifth Edition but his latest one is 22nd Edition. This is NOT a book for reading but is another brilliant reference book. It will give you background information that none of the training course will ever cover. In fact I am going obtain a copy of this edition as soon as I have finished my work here. Seriously, GET THE BOOK! The history part alone is worth reading. Ah yes, MFM and RLL. :vomit: (and where is that smilie) well, they were a pain!

Just noticed in your last post that you said "I tried research but no avail". I take that as an indication that you have trouble knowing how to search for things. This is not a criticism as, to use the verb, to Google, can be a challenge to get the appropriate search string. Have a look at the following link and see if that helps. How to search using Google.

Apologies Jtek, I have waffled . Do not take offense at any of the answers as all we are trying to do is to get you to think and try and find the answers for yourself. You have to retrain your brain in the way it thinks to make doing IT easier. Once you have done that half the battle is won. Also make sure you become very proficient at PowerShell as this is now really important to know.

Come back with questions but don't expect to be spoon feed answers and never give up!
            Last edited by biggles77; 14th October 2017, 02:47. Reason: Typo
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              1. 50% and then 7/8ths
              2. [EDIT: Sorry, misread the original question]
              3. No comment as I have used different reasons for different reasons.
              4. Yes, but what is the magic ingredient that makes it work?
              5. Probably the easiest of all these questions. [Clue: APIPA]

If this is for a Training Course, is it classroom based or a CBT? If either then I hope you are not paying for it because this should be explained by your destructor. Ossian is an MCT and I am 110% certain that all this will be covered in courses he runs. Also, this is really basic stuff and apart from Question 5 which didn't exist when I did my MCSE training 19 years ago, it was covered in Network Essentials and the TCP/IP part of the training so Thank You, New Rider books, all 14" (36cm) thick stack of you.

My favourite, least favourite book was Mastering Windows Server 2003 co-written by the brilliant Mark Minasi and others. THREE bloody inches thick (75mm) and weighing just under 7 pounds (3KG) but it had an electronic version and was an excellent reference. The most difficult book that I read was New Riders TCP/IP with 17 Chapters but 11 different authors and they all had different writing styles so be careful about books or tutorials that have multiple authors.

While Mastering Windows Server 2003 is long past it's use by date, there is one that I would recommend obtaining. Upgrading and Repairing PCs by Scott Mueller . I initially purchased the Second Edition and my present copy is the Fifth Edition but his latest one is 22nd Edition. This is NOT a book for reading but is another brilliant reference book. It will give you background information that none of the training course will ever cover. In fact I am going obtain a copy of this edition as soon as I have finished my work here. Seriously, GET THE BOOK! The history part alone is worth reading. Ah yes, MFM and RLL. :vomit: (and where is that smilie) well, they were a pain!

Just noticed in your last post that you said "I tried research but no avail". I take that as an indication that you have trouble knowing how to search for things. This is not a criticism as, to use the verb, to Google, can be a challenge to get the appropriate search string. Have a look at the following link and see if that helps. How to search using Google.

Apologies Jtek, I have waffled . Do not take offense at any of the answers as all we are trying to do is to get you to think and try and find the answers for yourself. You have to retrain your brain in the way it thinks to make doing IT easier. Once you have done that half the battle is won. Also make sure you become very proficient at PowerShell as this is now really important to know.

Come back with questions but don't expect to be spoon feed answers and never give up!
              Thanks for the insight and wisdom i finally did my own research and managed to complete the questionnaire on my own. I posted all the answers on my post for comments

Comment

Shit, I don't believe I missed reading your answers but Q1 and Q4 are still lacking essential parts of the answers IMO.

Now assuming the MS haven't changed things on DHCP Server since I learnt it all on Server NT4.0, after 50% of the lease time the client will poll the DHCP for a renewal. (You can look up the ACK, NACK sequences yourself as I no longer remember but I believe there were 4 in the sequence but......) After 7/8ths of the lease time the client will then poll for ANY DHCP Server for a lease.

If you keep adding numbers to a Class C IP Range then all you are going to get is a lot of Class C Scopes. To make it a Superscope, you need to change the Subnet Mask so all those added Ranges become contiguous.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Shit, I don't believe I missed reading your answers but Q1 and Q4 are still lacking essential parts of the answers IMO.

Now assuming the MS haven't changed things on DHCP Server since I learnt it all on Server NT4.0, after 50% of the lease time the client will poll the DHCP for a renewal. (You can look up the ACK, NACK sequences yourself as I no longer remember but I believe there were 4 in the sequence but......) After 7/8ths of the lease time the client will then poll for ANY DHCP Server for a lease.

If you keep adding numbers to a Class C IP Range then all you are going to get is a lot of Class C Scopes. To make it a Superscope, you need to change the Subnet Mask so all those added Ranges become contiguous.
                  yes you are exactly right.

Comment

Did you get the question sorted out in your deleted post? All you posted is correct. Remember that the adapter IP Properties page will only show IPs for Static entries. Dynamic entries are not displayed in that page. Only thing really missing is a Default Gateway but then that wasn't part of the question.

You are doing well Jtek, keep it up. If you have questions do not be hesitant about posting them. We all started in this game knowing nothing but we did learn. It is a very steep learning curve to start with but it does get easier........eventually.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X