Having DHCP server issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having DHCP server issues

I have been looking everywhere to try and find a solution to the issue that I'm having.

I have a Windows 2008 R2 server that is currently hosting AD, DNS and DHCP as well as a printer server. I want to decommission this server, so I setup a Windows 2012 R2 server that I have installed AD, DNS and DHCP. I'm pretty sure I setup the DNS and DHCP on the new server, exactly the same as on the 2008 server. When I test the DHCP on the new server to make sure that it is handing out ips, I disable the DHCP service on the 2008 server. When I try a ipconfig /release. ipconfig /renew on my test pc. It just hangs there and eventually gives up. I enable the servie n the 2008 service and the test pc can grab an ip no problem. Over the last few hrs, the new DHCP server grabbed a couple ips. I have no idea how it's doing this when you can't manually grab an ip from the new dhcp server.

What is going on, and what can I try to resolve this issue? If anyone needs clarification on the above issue or logs or anything, let me know and I would be happy to assist.

Have you authorised and activated the scope on the new server?

Comment

Just migrate from 2008 to 2012 and restore backups. will be a better solution.....

Comment

would like to know the DHCP scopes and logs. Can you forward it?

Comment

Originally posted by Aditya Deo View Post
          Just migrate from 2008 to 2012 and restore backups. will be a better solution.....
          No it won't.

Comment

Ok do one thing. Just export the DHCP from your existing 2008 server and import in newly installed server. after Import disable or delete the DHCP from you 2008 server. It will work.

Comment

James - post an ipconfig /all from both servers hosting DHCP and from a client. We'll start by checking that's OK.
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Aditya Deo View Post
                Ok do one thing. Just export the DHCP from your existing 2008 server and import in newly installed server. after Import disable or delete the DHCP from you 2008 server. It will work.
                Still won't work.

Comment

Working...
                X