Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a XP client switching from Static IP to DHCP

XP Pro
    14 machines on a peer to peer network all static, for no apparent reason the same machine loses connectivity 4 or 5 times a week. Re-enter ip config and reboot and is good to go for 24 hours or so...

Review config and DHCP is enabled. Router is set to DHCP...

All machines are connected via netgear switch, with a linksys router for internet access.

I want to replace the NIC, but I think it is more complex?

Re: Help with a XP client switching from Static IP to DHCP

Try removing the network card via Device Manager, remove the driver too, shut down and then restart.

Once the machine detects the card and installs it again, reconfigure it and see how long it stays connected for.

Network cards are not expensive... It may be cheaper to replace it rather than troubleshoot it.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks for the input...
      I am scheduled for Wed evening of this week, let you know what works.

Thanks again

Comment

I'd also update the drivers to the latest versions from the manufacturer.

Comment

dude look and see if "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is ticked in the adapter properties,if yes remove the tick. We have had this problem before and that fixed it

Comment

thanks for your input.

1. I replaced the network card, but the problem seems to be router related. I discovered that the router was configured incorrectly, some of the static IP's were part of the router's DHCP address range. for which I have corrected.
            2. the power save is not enabled.
            3. in failure mode the default gateway address (1.1) is the only address that times out on a ping. This morning I did a power on reset to the router, and then could ping 1.1, but the only way to get the workstation back on the network was to reboot Windows XP. note: release and renew fail...

I am considering replacing the Linksys router with a Netgear FVS318g.

Any additional thoughts keep them coming!

Comment

LAN/WAN map, if this would be of help to anyone.

(Internet)> Modem> Linksys router(PPPOE connection)>
              16 port Netgear switch(not managed)> 14 static IP workstations.

The system is used for pushing radiology files to viewing stations.

Comment

Seems strange that renew/release fail when rebooting refreshes the IP.

I would examine your router's configuration more carefully and make sure that everything is configured properly.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                X