Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP and Subnets

hi friends,

can we lease out IP addresses with different network addresses in the same subnet? suppose if there is a DHCP server and it has got two different scopes in a superscope with network id ranges (Scope1- 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.250) and (Scope2- 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.250). there is only one subnet and all the computers are attached to the same physical link. then can we lease out different ip addresses to different computers from the above said different scopes?

all the computers are connected to the same router as they are in a same subnet and if we lease out 192.168.1.15 to a computer, its gateway would be 192.168.1.1 and if we lease out 192.168.2.15 to a different computer, its gateway would be 192.168.2.1. how can we give different gateway numbers to the same router? does it work out like this. i hope i detailed my doubt properly and if u don't get what i mean, just let me know i will try to elaborate it. please reply me as i am stuck with this.

cheers

Re: DHCP and Subnets

please see the attached file to get what i mean
    Attached Files

Comment

I would seperate the LAN into VLAN's and use the IP Helper address from either your switch or router to send the requests to the DHCP Server.

To answer your question no i don't think it can unless you reserve the addresses you need.

Comment

Thanks for the reply mate. any more suggestions please?

Comment

What other suggestions would you like???

Comment

I don't think this will work. I think the DHCP server is going to assign addresses from the scope that falls in the same subnet the server is on.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              I don't think this will work. I think the DHCP server is going to assign addresses from the scope that falls in the same subnet the server is on.
              Wasn't aimed at me was it???

I know that the config won't work the way the user wants it to work unless he specifically reserves a set of IP's in DHCP hence the VLAN scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                Wasn't aimed at me was it???

I know that the config won't work the way the user wants it to work unless he specifically reserves a set of IP's in DHCP hence the VLAN scenario.
                No, sorry. Was meant for the OP.

Comment

Working...
                X