Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem accessing DHCP management console

Hi there,

I have installed my server and put it in production. I entered many time in the DHCP management console to customize dhcp reserved and exclusions.

Since about 1 week I can enter in the DHCP management console but when I click on the + beside myserver.mydomain.local, the plus disapear and there is a red circle with a white stripe on the server. If I try yo stop or restart the service it said "access is denied".

I tried serveral things like right-clic and run as admin. Add the user to dhcp administrators group even if my user as full admin right. (domain admins, enterprise admin.....)

Thank you,

LF
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2nd November 2009, 20:22.

Re: Problem accessing DHCP management console

Anybody had an idea of what's the trouble?

Here a screen of what i'm talking about:

Today I just got a pc unable to get an IP from DHCP. I configured manually to solve the problem.

If I got in the services console, I can restart the dhcp server services but it does not solve my problem.

Thank you,

LF

Comment

That's not what it should look like. It shows your local domain name is a .com. That "remote.b...com" should be an external FQDN. Not an internal domain name. That could cause all kinds of issues with SBS 2k8.

Maybe you should try re-running the Connect to the Network wizard again.

Comment

Ah... You must be right. Thank you!

I tried to add to good server in the dhcp console without success.

I already think about run "connect to internet" wizard but will it affect all my configurations doing my network down?

Comment

Have you run any of the wizards, or are you trying to do all this configuration manually?

Comment

I'm not sure to get what you mean but here are what i done on the server from the moment I got a fresh new install.

1- Configuring all I can with wizards of sbs ( Connect to internet, configure domain name, creating users and groups and pop3 connectors, sharing).

2- Editing dhcp configuration for exclusions ranges & reservations.

3- Advanced NTFS configurations for sharing folders.

4- Install and share printers.

5- Install software like antivirus, simply accounting connection manager.

6- Joining computers to domain.

7- Trying to change the built-in sub-domain remote.mydomain.com .(When I see It was not working, I replace the configuration like it was before) This was done at this place:

So It's probably this thing who disturb sbs and give me some problems with my dhcp server console.

But now I'am asking to me, If I re-do the wizard "connect to internet" of sbs, will affect what is already working? Will I need to reconfigure all my dhcp server twice?

Thank you,

LF
            Last edited by [email protected]; 5th November 2009, 15:19.

Comment

That picture is of Exchange. You really should have left that alone. That's not going to be helpful.

To answer your question, yes when you run the wizard it should create a new clean DHCP. So the setitngs you put in earlier will be gone. But they are already broken.

Comment

You should use the "Fix my Network Settings" wizard. You cannot rename your domain without re-installing SBS, so be sure what you are doing before you start.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

BigStan:
                  That picture is of Exchange. You really should have left that alone. That's not going to be helpful.
                  I'm not sure you understand, this setting has been changed before problem occur.

To answer your question, yes when you run the wizard it should create a new clean DHCP. So the setitngs you put in earlier will be gone. But they are already broken.
                  I done a lab with another sbs2008 and tried this. The wizard has not changed anything in my dhcp.

teiger:
                  You should use the "Fix my Network Settings" wizard. You cannot rename your domain without re-installing SBS, so be sure what you are doing before you start.
                  The last week-end we tried to run the fix my network wizard first. It found something wrong in the dhcp but was unable to solve it. I said Unable to access to dhcp or something like that.

After we run the connect to internet wizard. It run without error and It not changed anything.

--------------------

I've got some guest who were not able to get an IP. So I finally solved temporary the problem by stoping the dhcp server service and setup the router as dhcp.

Comment

At the risk of sounding repetitive (forumwise, not this thread), you should understand there is NO connection between the internal AD name and the external Internet name - at least there shouldn't be.
                    Internal AD domain is for managing your LAN (something.local)
                    External Internet name is for getting your mail (and seeing your web site - but that should be somewhere else) (somethingelse.com).
                    Do you want or need the Internet to see your internal IP addresses and computer names? It would probably be a security breach if they did!
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X