Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008: DHCP Stopped Working

Hi,
    I built a Windows 2008 server at home a while back (2 or 3 weeks ago), configured it as a domain controller with DNS, DHCP & WINS.

Everything was fine for a week or so then my clients slowly stopped getting DHCP configuration and nothing I could do seemed to re-enable it ... the service remains running, it simply isn't handing out DHCP Info. There didn't seem a particular rhyme or reason to the drop-offs ... had it been based on DHCP lease time I would have expected my client (Win 7 Beta) to drop-off first but some of the more recent ones did (first Vista Business then XP Pro). No other systems (Linux, XP physical or XP HV Virtual) have managed to pick up an IP since the problem first appeared.

I have worked around the problem using static IP's (easy enough in a home network environment) but even with the 4 or 5 permanent client I have it gets a bit difficult to configure statics easily and then there are several test systems and quite a few virtual that I use. DHCP is pretty much an essential even for my home network.

An obvious solution, but one which I am reluctant to use since I am a Windows Tech and prefer to use a Windows solution is configure my NetGear router to handle DHCP. An alternative (a better one IMO) would be to build a VM to handle DHCP but most of all I'd just like to know if this can be fixed so any ideas most appreciated.

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Server 2008: DHCP Stopped Working

is there anything in the event logs ?
    Have you possibly enabled a firewall profile ?
    have you run wireshark, or netmon, to try and see what the traffic is doing ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

What's your event log say? Anything of note in the DHCP server log? Windows\System32\DHCP

Do reservations work? What happens when you release/renew on a client? Have you run network monitor on the server to watch the traffic flow to see what's going on?

EDIT: Bahaha! Cross posted with tehcamel. If I hadn't gone googling to find the DHCP log location, I woulda beat you to it!!
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
        What's your event log say? Anything of note in the DHCP server log? Windows\System32\DHCP

Do reservations work? What happens when you release/renew on a client? Have you run network monitor on the server to watch the traffic flow to see what's going on?
        None of those things work because the service isn't working at all, no clients pick up addresses, reserved or otherwise. Release/renew doesn't work either and no, I have no network monitor.
        Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        is there anything in the event logs ?
        Have you possibly enabled a firewall profile ?
        have you run wireshark, or netmon, to try and see what the traffic is doing ?

There's no firewall running that I am aware of ... I haven't got into wireshark or netmon yet, will do if I have to but I'm not very familiar with them but I don't think it's a network issue, I think it's a server configuration issue.

I just tried to connect to the system by name and failed, was able to connect by IP AOK. As a result of this, figuring it might be some kind of name resolution issue, I pinged it and got:

C:\Windows\System32>ping ar-vampyr-dc

Pinging servername.mydomain.local [67.215.65.132] with 32 bytes of data:
        Request timed out.
        Request timed out.
        Request timed out.
        Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 67.215.65.132:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Very weird for a 192.168.1.x subnet.

From the management console I checked that the scope was authorised (on the basis that it says "unauthorized" I assume it is and that led me to look at DHCP bindings ("Add/Remove Bindings...") and found that the IPv4 bindings list was empty ... at the top of the box it says, "Select the connections that the DHCP server supports for servicing client. If this list is empty, verify that a static IP address has been configured for this computer" ... the server DOES, of course, have a fixed IP address (254 in that subnet).

True enough, in event viewer, I found the following:

Log Name: System
        Source: Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Server
        Date: 26/09/2009 08:07:34
        Event ID: 1041
        Task Category: None
        Level: Error
        Keywords: Classic
        User: N/A
        Computer: Log Name: System
        Source: Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Server
        Date: 26/09/2009 08:29:28
        Event ID: 1041
        Task Category: None
        Level: Error
        Keywords: Classic
        User: N/A
        Computer: SERVERNAME.mydomain.local
        Description:
        The DHCP service is not servicing any DHCPv4 clients because none of the active network interfaces have statically configured IPv4 addresses, or there are no active interfaces.
        Event Xml:
        <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
        <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Server" Guid="{6D64F02C-A125-4DAC-9A01-F0555B41CA84}" EventSourceName="DhcpServer" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1041</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-09-26T07:29:28.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>63478</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>SERVERNAME.mydomain.local</Computer>
        <Security />
        </System>
        <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Binary>00000000</Binary>
        </EventData>
        </Event>

The only IP not configured on the system is IPv6 so I disabled it in the registry:

Under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Para meters create a new DWORD value, "DisabledComponent" and set its value to “FF” then restart the server

I still get much the same error (in event viewer too).

Kyu

Comment

whether or not you can ping the servers/workstations via named or ip is irelevant when we're talking about dhcp... it's at a lower level of the network stack and occurs totally separate and with no knowledge of dns or even IP addrssing.

So yo uhave assigned a static address on your dhcp server now, and still have the same problem ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

whether or not you can ping the servers/workstations via named or ip is irelevant when we're talking about dhcp... it's at a lower level of the network stack and occurs totally separate and with no knowledge of dns or even IP addrssing.

So you have assigned a static address on your dhcp server now, and still have the same problem ?
            It always had a static IP (x.x.x.254), the server (or service) simply doesn't know it has ... I strongly suspect it concerns the fact that IPv6 doesn't have a fixed IP (don't know much about that).

EDIT: The pinging the weird IP is irrelevant BTW ... when "temporarily" assigning a static IP to my client I pointed my DNS towards OpenDNS, now back to the server and responds correctly.

Kyu
            Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 26th September 2009, 12:44.

Comment

ok.. have you tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of the dhcp roles ?

using a sledgehammer for a thumbtack maybe.. but still..

Comment

ok.. have you tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of the dhcp roles ?

using a sledgehammer for a thumbtack maybe.. but still..
                Yes I have ... no joy

Kyu

Comment

OK,

So, I went for a virtual machine as a solution.

I built a Windows 2003 server and configured DHCP on it (later on, I'll probably use it for WSUS or some such as well) and it is working fine. The original 2008-based service also worked fine to start with and I suspect things started to go wrong as DHCP leases ran out but so far it looks promising as virtual & physical XP clients (as well as all my Linux builds) all pick up a DHCP address fine.

I'll post back in a couple of weeks if it is still all working

Kyu

Comment

Working...
                  X