DNS - DHCP Update Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS - DHCP Update Issue

We have 3 DCs, two at our main site, and a third at another on the end of a LES connection, we have one main DHCP server at our main site serving both the main and remote site this has multiple NICs in and we have several scopes defined.

However we have noticed the DHCP server is not updating DNS correctly, now DHCP and DNS are on seperate machines. As we have several IP address with different hostnames, which is causing us problems with remote support and the like.

All 4 machines are on the domain, DNS is set to clear down records, DHCP is set to dynamicly update DNS which is does not seem to be doing correctly.

The only think we can find that might be an issue is on the IPv4 scope on teh DHCP server, Properties, Advanced is an option called "DNS Dynamic updates registration credetials" now this isnt filled in, do we need to fill this in to make it all work happily? or is this some bit of MS redunant code?

Cheers

Dave

Re: DNS - DHCP Update Issue

You need to configure the credentials. The DHCP server can't update DNS if it doesn't have permission to do so.

Is DNS configured to accept only secure updates?

Is DNS AD-integrated?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      You need to configure the credentials. The DHCP server can't update DNS if it doesn't have permission to do so.

Is DNS configured to accept only secure updates?

Is DNS AD-integrated?
      Yes the AD is setup as intergrated with the AD we have setup.

I have checked and DNS is setup to only accept secure dynamic updates.

So I take it I need to supply the DHCP server with domain admin creditials?

Dave

Comment

For security, you should create a dedicated user account with the necessary permissions (Google them if you're not sure).
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ok I will have a look on google for the settings I need.

So can I just confirm that we are having this updating issue due to the creditials not being filled in on the DHCP server?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X