No announcement yet.

DHCP Service is down

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP Service is down

I've migrated DC from our old domain to our new domain which also function as our DHCP server. After the migration, I've noticed that the DHCP service is down. I already tried to restart, authorize and reinstall the DHCP service but it did not fixed the problem. Please see the Event Logs that I am getting below:

Event ID: 1046
    The DHCP/BINL service on the local machine, belonging to the Windows Administrative domain (domain name), has determined that it is not authorized to start. It has stopped servicing clients. The following are some possible reasons for this:
    This machine is part of a directory service enterprise and is not authorized in the same domain. (See help on the DHCP Service Management Tool for additional information).
    This machine cannot reach its directory service enterprise and it has encountered another DHCP service on the network belonging to a directory service enterprise on which the local machine is not authorized.
    Some unexpected network error occurred.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    Last edited by tophen; 21st August 2009, 18:00.

Re: DHCP Service is down

I've already resolved this issue...

This issue may occur if there is an object conflict inside the Active Directory directory service configuration container.

To resolve it follow these steps:
    1. Start the Active Directory Service Interfaces (ADSI) Edit MMC snap-in. To do this, follow these steps:
      1. <LI type=a>Click Start, click Run, type Adsiedit.msc, and then click OK.
      2. Click Tools, and then click ADSI Edit.
    2. In the console tree, expand the Configuration container, expand CN=Configuration, expand CN=Services, and then expand CN=NetServices.
    3. In the details pane, you may find objects that resemble the following: CNF:<GUID>,CN=NetServices,CN=Services,CN=Configura tion, domain
    4. Right-click the objects, and then click Delete.
    5. Exit the ADSI Edit MMC snap-in.
    Verify that the DHCP server becomes authorized after active directory replication is complete.

And it only took you 30 minutes!! Great job and thanks for posting back with the solution.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow:

Here, here! All I can add is that this saved me too.

However, the inability to start the service not the inability to register the DHCP service was not caused by a domain move or anything like that, it just "happened". Clearing out the entries for that DHCP server in our domain (we have several subnets) and then reauthorizing did the trick!