Windows Std 2003 Server - DHCP/DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Std 2003 Server - DHCP/DNS

I have a Windows Std 2003 Server and trying to connect workstations to domain. I have found two problems:
    1. Server DHCP does not issue IP address automatically. I have check the services and settings and it looks fine. The IP range is 192.168.2.2 thru 192.168.2 250. The server has static ip set to - 192.168.2.110, 255.255.255.0, no gateway, and DNS is 192.168.2.110. On the workstation, i have set ip address to 192.168.2.25, 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.2.110. The workstation Gateway is 192.168.2.110. With this settings, any workstation does not have internet access, even if i change to obtain IP address. The Router is DLink and the DHCP is off.

2. DNS does not resolve and could not connect any workstation to Domain Server. I get the ff errors:

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.
    The domain name metropolis might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
    If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.
    The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain metropolis:
    The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.metropolis
    Common causes of this error include the following:
    - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.
    - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:
    metropolis
    . (the root zone)
    For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Please give me notes or help!!

Re: Windows Std 2003 Server - DHCP/DNS

I want to make sure I get it right:
    subnet is 192.168.2.0/24
    router is 192.168.2.1
    server is 192.168.2.110 (both DHCP & DNS services) - did you exclude this IP from DHCP?

client is 192.168.2.25 with D\G to the DNS server - did you exclude this IP from DHCP?

you do not want clients to go to the internet
    you do not want clients to get any D\G

what type of equipment are you using to connect all the clients and the server on the 192.168.2.x subnet?
    OneManITShop - IT Consultant
    BLOG: OneManITShop.blogspot.com
    eMail: [email protected]

Comment

isn't the gateway is supposed to point to the dlink rather than to x.x.x.110 for both server and workstation? can they ping each other as well as the router?

Comment

hey Jack01, any progress? is it fixed?
        OneManITShop - IT Consultant
        BLOG: OneManITShop.blogspot.com
        eMail: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
        X