Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DHCP Clients not making Reverse L Z entry??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP Clients not making Reverse L Z entry??

Hi,

I have a Domain Controller which is also a DNS server for my domain. My clients are connected to DC with DHCP server which is on another Domain (DHCP Server). I have configured Reverse Lookup Zone for my Domain. But the clients with DHCP IPs are not making entries to reverse zone even after ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns. I have checked the settings on DHCP server and DNS server. Both have the setting of Dynamic updates enabled. Also to add the clients with Static IP when done ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns make their entries in Reverse Lookup Zone. Why my Cleints on DHCP not making Entries Reverse Lookup zone?

Re: DHCP Clients not making Reverse L Z entry??

Check your DNS / DHCP setup from the following MS guidelines

Taken from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...34(WS.10).aspx

The DHCP server might be configured in one of the following ways:
    • The DHCP server registers and updates client information with the authoritative DNS server of the zone in which the DHCP server is located according to the DHCP client request.
      This is the default configuration for DHCP servers running Windows Server 2003 and DHCP clients running Windows 2000, Windows XP, or a Windows Server 2003 operating system. In this mode, the DHCP client can request the way in which the DHCP server performs updates of its host (A) and pointer (PTR) resource records. If possible, the DHCP server accommodates the client request for handling updates to its name and IP address information in DNS.
      To modify this setting, select the Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records only if requested by the DHCP clients check box, which is located in Properties on the DNS tab on the applicable DHCP server or on one of its scopes.
    • The DHCP server always registers and updates client information in DNS.
      This is a modified configuration supported for DHCP servers running Windows Server 2003 and DHCP clients running Windows 2000, Windows XP, or a Windows Server 2003 operating system. In this mode, the DHCP server always performs updates of the client's FQDN, leased IP address information, and both its host (A) and pointer (PTR) resource records, regardless of whether the client has requested to perform its own updates.
      To modify this setting, select the Enable DNS dynamic updates according to the settings below check box and click Always dynamically update DNS A and PTR records, which is located in Properties on the DNS tab on the applicable DHCP server or on one of its scopes.
    • The DHCP server never registers and updates client information in DNS.
      To set this behavior, the DHCP server must be configured to disable performance of DHCP/DNS proxied updates. By disabling this feature, no client host (A) or pointer (PTR) resource records are updated in DNS for DHCP clients.
      If necessary, this change in setting can be made at DHCP servers running Windows Server 2003 by clearing the Enable DNS dynamic updates according to the settings below check box, which is located in Properties on the DNS tab on the applicable DHCP server or one of its scopes. By default, updates are always performed for newly installed DHCP servers running Windows Server 2003 and any new scopes created for them.
    MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

Thanks 4r the note. but i believe my settings are as per the documents. Anybody any other tips?

Comment

Any logs in Event Viewer of DHCP server?

I hope you have selected "Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records only if requested bythe dhcp clients." option dhcp server.

Please verify "DHCP Server" service in services.msc is running with Local System logon credentials, if you are not logged in with the domain administrator please set the services with domain admin account credentials.

Manoj

Comment

Working...
        X