Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 DHCP issue

Hi guys,

We do have one DHCP server running on Windows 2000 and one client (windows 2003), that due to some software testing we need to run on it, with system date set to 4th of August 2008.

We are experiencing some DHCP issue with that particular host - its IP address was already assigned to different host and it's making a small mess on our network.

Is it possible that the time difference between the server and client (few months!!) is causing the problem?? DHCP ends on server side but IP is not released from client?

Same IP was already assigned to CentOS machine - does it make any difference? How good Windows 2000 DHCP server is in handling non Windows machines?

I am not good in explaining things so if I missed anything or you need some more details, please let me know.

Thank you in advance,
    Tomasz

Re: Windows 2000 DHCP issue

You could turn on Conflict Detection.

You could also set a reserved address in DHCP for the server.

Is the serever a member of the domain???

Comment

Re: Windows 2000 DHCP issue

Originally posted by tzajaczkowski View Post
      Hi guys,

We do have one DHCP server running on Windows 2000 and one client (windows 2003), that due to some software testing we need to run on it, with system date set to 4th of August 2008.

We are experiencing some DHCP issue with that particular host - its IP address was already assigned to different host and it's making a small mess on our network.

Is it possible that the time difference between the server and client (few months!!) is causing the problem?? DHCP ends on server side but IP is not released from client?

Same IP was already assigned to CentOS machine - does it make any difference? How good Windows 2000 DHCP server is in handling non Windows machines?

I am not good in explaining things so if I missed anything or you need some more details, please let me know.

Thank you in advance,
      Tomasz
      Doesnt matter what the client/host is. DHCP is abitary. As long as a broadcast from a host is sent and acknowledged the DHCP server will assign it an IP address. Just go into the DHCP scope remove the leased IP address to that client and release/renew the IP address on the host. Just ensure that there are no duplicates on your LAN.

Comment

Working...
      X