RASS and DCHP Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RASS and DCHP Problems

Hey guys, having a problem here, I setup RASS to give ip's to vpn clients, and seems that it's giving probably the same ip adress to 2 machines. I have 1 Nic with public ip 82.102.xxx.xxx and and internal NIC with 192.168.11.1, and the vpn leases are given with the 2nd nic card. In the RASS parameter i have put the dhcp lease between 192.168.11.100 - 192.168.11.250. What's happening is that my server looses connection to the internet , and when i stop the RASS Service and start everything goes back yo normal. How can i know the ip that RASS has given ? it's not delivered by the dhcp server, but it's RASS service it self. Dont really know what's wrong here, anyone with an ideia ?

Regards
    Kevin

Re: RASS and DCHP Problems

Hi,

Have you excluded the 192.168.11.100 - 192.168.11.250 range on the local DHCP server?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hey L4ndy thx for the answer. Well i have the dhcp server installed but it has no Scope in it, do i have to create a scope and put it in the exclusion list?

Kevin

Comment

Are the IP addresses being given to two VPN clients or to one VPN and one local client?

If you look at the active registrations in WINS you will be able to see which computers have been assigned which IP address.
        Last edited by Blood; 8th July 2009, 11:06. Reason: clarity
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I dont' have local clientes, i just have vpn clients. So i assume that it's giving away same ip twice, ill checkout the wins and see if i can find anything.

Thx for the tip, ill keep this updated.

UPDATE: well checked all the log's WINS and nothing seems to be wrong. No error, no duplicate IP. I still don't understand. It looses connectivity to the internet, and just by restarting the RASS service and back to normal for another day or so. Any more ideas ? I can give more details of the server if you want. Win2003 with AD replicated from another DC, has 2 NICS, 1 with the Public IP and the other NIC has a loopback connected to activate the network card so that i can have a 192.168.11.0 network available for the VPN. I have this working in another place and it's works finem and it worked fine with this server already, but maked some hardware improvement and decided to intall everything from fresh.

Kevin
          Last edited by kevinguerreiro; 9th July 2009, 19:18.

Comment

Have you looked in the RRAS manager itself to see what IP's are being given out? Do you have DHCP relay agent enable? (just curious)

My setup is I have a DHCP server scope of say. 12.30.9.80-12.30.9.250. I gave the RRAS scope a range of 12.30.9.50-12.30.9.79. Works without issues, but I don't think I have the volume as you do. The RRAS server gives itself 12.30.9.50 and everyone else gets anything above that.
            Last edited by Mudd; 10th July 2009, 23:49.

Comment

It is strange because the last time i saw it giving ip's, the internal device got the last ip available and started giving ips from the top to thebottom...errrr Well i'm going to uninstall the ras service, reboot the machine and install it again and see what happens.

Kevin

Comment

That's how mine works too. First is xxx.138 then 137 etc
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Well seems that i found out the problem, in the second NIC with the 192.168.x.x address, i had to take out the gateway from the tcp/ip properties,witch i had pointed to it's own ip that is 192.168.11.1 and everything is working ok now. Thx for the help everybody.

Regards
                  Kevin

Comment

Working...
                  X