No announcement yet.

Adding a 3rd DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a 3rd DC

I have a client with SBS2003 at their HQ. I have also installed a 2ndary DC for redundancy.

I am in the processes of setting up their 1st branch office. I am staging the computers on-site 1st. The branch office will consist of 1 server and 5 workstations. There will be a site to site VPN along 2 T1s.

The Branch server has two network cards. I am using one as the HQ's subnet along the VPN (192.168.211.x) and the other is the branch office LAN (192.168.216.x currently disabled while configuring).

The branch server has DNS installed, which replicates the forward lookup zones and domain.local. It also forwards unresolved requests to the HQ server. DHCP is also installed to handle banch LAN requests for 192.168.216.x.

I am having an issue installing AD on the branch server. I get the following error:
    The operation failed because:

The Active Directory Installation Wizard cannot continue because the forest is not prepared for installing Windows Server 2003. Use the Adprep command-line tool to prepare both the forest and the domain. For more information about using the Adprep, see Active Directory Help.

"The version of the Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory on this computer."
    I have successfully added a 2nd DC at the HQ. Not really sure what is wrong. When I try to run ADPrep.exe on the DC, it says it has already been run.

Any ideas?

Re: Adding a 3rd DC

If the server on the branch office is 2003 R2 there is an incompartibility with the adprep.exe tool.
    Read this