AD Schema Owner Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Schema Owner Problem

Installed new Windows 2003 Server. Tranfered the FSMO Roles using the GUI and run regserv32 schmmgmt.dll. DllRegisterServer in schmmgmt.dll succeeded. However, the following error appeared but everything replicated and the new DC seems not to have a problem except as explained below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Replication-error.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	467571

dcpromo the old server and it wouldn't work. Had to use /forceremoval. Server was then removed from the network.

NSlookp works correctly. Netdiag and DCdiag also appear ok when compared to previous printouts from the original DC. However when I went to forestprep an Exchange installation on a member server, I get an error.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MSE3K3-Forest-Prep.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	467568

Try to run NTDSUTIL on the DC, get as far as metadata cleanup: and this error appears;
    Error 80070057 parsing input - illegal syntax
    Googled and searched TechNet but they all seem to point to using ntdsutil to cleaning up the metadata to fix the error. Hard to do when the error won't let you get to the commands. Also tried seizing the roles (even though they appear to have moved to the new server) but again the parsing error stops me from proceeding past fsmo manitenance.

Netdiag - netdiag.txt
    DCdiag - dcdiag.txt

Can anyone see something that I have missed or something I may have screwed up. My apologies if the post appears a bit jumbled but boy do I have one hell of a headache now. Must replace the crappy CRT on the server.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: AD Schema Owner Problem

You may need to seize the FSMO:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504/

Also, I dont know if the schema changes of Win 2003 was replicate so you may remove the first DC too soon.

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Starting test: KnowsOfRoleHolders
      Warning: CN=NTDS Settings\0ADEL:c6017be0-2f26-43d1-895a-acabd593acaf,CN=E1345FS001\0ADEL:74091dc8-40e0-4f03-bbd7-90fc561bc4db,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=admin,DC=joachim ,DC=melb,DC=catholic,DC=edu,DC=au is the Schema Owner, but is deleted.
      You won't be able to transfer the FSMO role as the owner is already presto. Seize the schema master to one of the working/replicating DCs
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        but again the parsing error stops me from proceeding past fsmo manitenance.
        Yes, as every1 sugessted seizing the Schema master role should resolve the issue. As you mentioned earlier that you are not able to go past the fsmo maintenance. Illegal syntax simply means you are not typing the command properly. Refer to the KB article provided above

Comment

Yuval, AD Users and Computer, Operations Master told me the PID, PCD & Infrastructure Roles had moved and AD Domins & Trusts told me Domain naming operations master was also in the correct location. Schema Master transfer also appeared to transfer correctly.

Guy, unfortunately there is only one DC on this network. Would it work if I installed a temp DC, seized the Roles to temp DC and then seized again to the present DC? Bit messy though.

Kunal, the command was typed correctly. I even typed help at the NTDSUTIL prompts to make sure I didn't make a typo. I also had the below article printed out sitting beside me. (Only thing i didn't try was Copy & Paste.)
          I also used this excellent article and another and this. However, I will try yet again and have someone watch while I enter the commands. This should rule out actual syntax errors.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

maybe what late, but it's worth to look at it:
            http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
            http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;305476
            http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1457614.php

(and be sure you're enterprise admin )

Oh, you're new dc, did you also made him GC again?
            did you monitor with replmon if everything was replicated?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber
              did you monitor with replmon if everything was replicated?
              OUCH! That is the sound an idiot makes when he kicks himself. (I shall not forget Replmon ever again.)

Thanks Marcel! Yes, it made the new DC a GC. I reviewed the links and I had a printout of the TechNet2 article. I had the parsing error that stopped me from being able to get to the Roles prompt in NTDSUTIL.

Spent too much time on this so I will add a temp DC, seize roles and then seize them again from the present DC. Must have done something wrong somewhere along the line. Have only done this process 3 times so I am not really proficient at it.

Thanks, I do appreciate the input and will let you know the result of this afternoons endeavours.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Installed a temp server, dcpromoed it, seized the Roles, made sure everything was replicated to the DC that was causing me grief and then seized the Roles again to the actual DC. Rebooted and was then able to run forestprep and domainprep on the member server that was getting Exchange Server installed. Temp server ripped from network and disposed of when no one was looking.

Thank you for the suggestions and participation in my troubles. I do greatly appreciated.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                  Temp server ripped from network and disposed of when no one was looking.
                  Hope you did not forget to dcpromo the temp server down. And if you did not, you will have to perform metadata cleanup to remove the leftovers of the temp DC

EDIT: missing "no"
                  Last edited by guyt; 3rd August 2006, 06:17.
                  Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Guy

Are you sure what you wrote there? I thought if you DCPROMOed a server down it did clean up - it's only if you forgot to before you removed it you would have a lot of cleaning up to do.
                    But then again, I only do SBS swing migrations, so what do I know
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Argg.... There is a missing "no" there.

Thanks Steven.
                      Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Originally posted by guyt
                        Argg.... There is a missing "no" there.

Thanks Steven.
                        That's a bit like there is no F in bananas.

Thanks, yes, it was dcpromoed. Everything seemed to go right this time. Just waiting for it all to fall in a heap when I at the other end of town.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X