Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD in a Linux environment

Hello:
    I am trying to install a WIN 2003 BDC in an environment that has DNS managed by a Linux box. I keep getting a DNS error when I try to install AD. I was wondering how do I install AD and not run DNS on this machine? In the future, we will promote it to PDC, and then rename the domain. They insist on running dns on the Linux server. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: AD in a Linux environment

what ver of linux do you have

you need that your linux will support SRV recoreds
    Thanks
    Noam Greenberg
    If you want yo can conntact me at

Comment

Hi, Please specify AD installetion error in detail, I mean in which phase of installetion it occurs and detail error message which it gives. I am allredy using netwok in wchich DNS is handeled by linux, so I think linux is not the problem. Also specify ver and vender of ur linux.

u can try few things
      1. Check that ur linux DNS is working properly
      2. Check ur sever's TCP/IP property and give ur linux dns IP address as ur server's primary DNS

bye

Comment

Is your linux box setup to recieve dynamic updates?
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks guys. Here is what I am facing. The linux box does not allow for dynamic updates. I was told that I need to set up DNS on the new AD server to point to itself. I did that. No dice.

The error I get is "DNS name does not exist"

the query was for the SRV:
          _ldap_tcp.dc.msdcs. intranet.mycompany.com

If you need more information, please ask. Thanks for the help.

Comment

it is say that it cant find SRV recored

this hepend if your DNS ( linux ) dont support SRV recoreds
            Thanks
            Noam Greenberg

Comment

Originally posted by homerjay
              Thanks guys. Here is what I am facing. The linux box does not allow for dynamic updates. I was told that I need to set up DNS on the new AD server to point to itself. I did that. No dice.

The error I get is "DNS name does not exist"

the query was for the SRV:
              _ldap_tcp.dc.msdcs. intranet.mycompany.com

If you need more information, please ask. Thanks for the help.
              Set your network card DNS to the Windows servers IP address. DCPROMO the server and set it to install DNS for you.

Then set your DNS to forward requests to your linuz box. That is how we did it when migrating from Linux to Windows.
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Noam Greenberg
                it is say that it cant find SRV recored

this hepend if your DNS ( linux ) dont support SRV recoreds
                Noam, this happens when the SRV record in question is not found on the DNS server. The error has nothing to do with support of SRV records. Actually you will have a very hard time to find nowadays Linux distro running version of BIND without support of SRV records (support of SRV records was introduced in BIND 4.9.5 - somewhere around 7 years ago).

homerjay,

please describe your current environment, the OS versions and DNS servers the DCs are configured to use.
                Is msdcs.intranet.company.com zone delegated to DNS running on existing DC ?
                Are you currently running NT4 or AD ?
                What are the exact steps you have performed ?
                Guy Teverovsky
                "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

guy hi

he didnt tell us what linux ver he have so ...
                  Thanks
                  Noam Greenberg

Comment

guy hi

he didnt tell us what linux ver he have so ...
                    Please point me to a mad man running 7 year old unpatched Linux distro in his production environment and I will agree that this is a relevant question

Even most conservative Unix flavours do not run that archaic BIND versions for years.
                    Guy Teverovsky

Comment

guy you kiling me !

i can tell you about 1000000 offices that work with novel 3 becouse it is working ....

so ... the same for linux
                      Thanks
                      Noam Greenberg

Comment

guy you kiling me !

i can tell you about 1000000 offices that work with novel 3 becouse it is working ....

so ... the same for linux
                        What Novell has to do with it ?
                        Sorry, but your logic is flawed. You are jumping to conclusions based on your personal experiences from totally different area. Linux distros that came with versions of BIND that did no support SRV records will have a very hard time running on modern hardware.

But forget it... Looks like you are just trying to agrue for the sakes of the argument...
                        Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Originally posted by guyt
                          What Novell has to do with it ?
                          Sorry, but your logic is flawed. You are jumping to conclusions based on your personal experiences from totally different area. Linux distros that came with versions of BIND that did no support SRV records will have a very hard time running on modern hardware.

But forget it... Looks like you are just trying to agrue for the sakes of the argument...
                          I don't think he is trying to argue, just agreeing that people seem to stick with systems 'because they work'. Like i've seen people on NT 3.51 as 'there is nothing wrong with it'. If it aint broke... don't fix it mentallity.
                          Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Chris, the problem is that I know Noam too well to know that he IS argueing

Another point is that I also know the state of Linux market in Israel (from where Noam comes too) and am aware more or less of what kind of distros you will find at the clients and I can safely bet that for every 10 Novell 3.x installations he will have a very hard time to find a single 7 year old Linux distro in production
                            Guy Teverovsky

Comment

You obviously speak from experience on this Guy
                              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                              X