Group Policy, VPN, Windows Firewall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy, VPN, Windows Firewall

Good day everyone, glad to be here. We are experiencing a problem with one of the users in our domain. We are running Widows 2003 enterprise Edition and XP on the workstations. The problem that we are having is that when he connects to our VPN network while at home or at a cafe, his connection shows as connected to the VPN, and we are also able to see him present on our Firewall, but we are unable to ping his computer and he is not able to launch appications within our network, even Outlook cannot retrieve messages. What i found on his computer is that the Windows firewall is turned on and dimmed gray. Our group policy settings actually disable the Windows firewall because we have symantec running the security, but for some reason, his computer is the only one that has this firewall on the on position.

Any suggestions to get this resolved, thanks!!

Edward

Re: Group Policy, VPN, Windows Firewall

Edward,

Have you tried running RSOP on the worlstation to see if group policy is definately applying. Try logging on as a local administrator and see if you can switch off the firewall and then see if it re-applys itself when you reboot,

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

No i have not, our user will be in one of our remote offices tomorrow, which i'm sure i will be able to access once he connects to the network, i just hope we can duplicate the problem. Yesterday when he was in the office we did not seem to have any problems.

I will go ahead and try this when he gets in. Thank you for your prompt reply

Edward

Comment

m80arm, Once I open up the console and i am able to see the user's policy properties, where in the tree can I find the Windows Firewall setting. As mentioned before, we have the group policy set to make everyone's Firewall set to Off, and for some reason this one stays off.

Thanks

ptjrnisaac

Comment

Re: Group Policy, VPN, Windows Firewall - Anyone

I'm really strggling with this. This afternoon our user was in our remote warehouse and i jumped on his computer via Remote Admin. All of the firewall settings seemed to be ok. I also checked the Rsop and it shows that the firewall is to be disabled at all times. The user has since gone home and again he is having a problem with fully accesing our network. Any ideas Anyone?

Comment

Working...
          X