Active Directory Configuration Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Configuration Question

We have 20 different locations and we will be putting a server at each location. Every location is connected by a Fiber connection (maintained by our ISP) with about a 3MB connection. The network is a meshed network and all internet traffic is routed back to the corporate location where it then hits surfcontrol and proceeds to the internet. At three of the locations we have 30-50 workstations each. So we will have a domain controller at these three locations. However, at the rest of the 17 branches there are only 4-5 workstations at each location. Here is my question. Should I have a domain controller at each location (20 domain controllers) or should I stick with 4 or 5 domain controllers and have the smaller locations authenticate over the WAN connection and just make the server at that location a member server. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Active Directory Configuration Question

From what you're telling us, for every 4-5 users per location it sounds silly to put in a DC. Let them log on through the WAN, and in case the WAN goes down, they will log on with their cached credentials.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
    X