Creating multiple users from file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating multiple users from file

Hi... I'm looking for a tool or script that will import excel or comma separated file of usernames, passwords, group container, security on home directory, etc. and create user accounts in AD.
    I work in university and need to create student accounts every semester.
    Is there anything out there?

Re: Creating multiple users from file

To create just accounts (and set a few properties) I use addusers.exe from the NT4 reskit.

I am in the process of developing a program to do all this process (AD, Home drive, profile, groups, mailbox etc...) for an in-house development at my college. I am making it network independant so it will be available for use in other establishments.

Ill let you know when it is ready... a few weeks for an alpha i expect.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Read up on CSVDE and DSADD

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
        Read up on CSVDE and DSADD

Tom
        I was going to suggest CSVDE but i thought you couldn't create users using it?
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Well, CSVDE has an import mode, so you should be able to create AD objects:

This link says you can

DSADD is, IIRC, the preferred way.

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

DSADD is nice, but it's much slower. Try to creat 1000 users with it.

CSVDE and LDIFDE work with W2K too, and unlike DSADD, can handle ALL of the object's attributtes except the password, which DSADD can configure. That way you can create mailboxes, configure mailbox limits, email addresses and much more.

That's why is seems like you cannot create users with CSVDE/LDIFDE in Win2003 where there is a requirement to use a 7 characters complex password by default. Disable that requirement for a while, create the users, then enable it. But then you'll have 1000 users with no passwords.

You will then be able to modify the users with DSMOD to include a password (for example from an Excel file) or use a tool like ADmodify to select all users and set their passwords at once.

Naturally, if you can script, using ADSI and VB will be much better.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
            X