mis delegated zone ,now grayed out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mis delegated zone ,now grayed out

I was following a MS KB on child domain creation and DNS delegation. Before I realized what I did, I delegated out "site.net" to a not working child domain. Now the "site.net" _msdcs folder is grayed out. Clicking on it shows only one NS record for the server it is on. Above it, right under "Forward Lookup Zones" is a "_msdcs.site.net". It is not greyed out and has many folders under it. I can ping machines by name so I know things are resolving and I have no errors listed under DNS events. Any ideas about what may have happened and How to un-grey the site _msdcs and repopulate it? I have to DC's with DNS, will I have to work with both?
    Thanks
    --Steve

Re: mis delegated zone ,now grayed out

It is the normal behavior for delegated sub domains/zones to "turn gray" in the DNS management console.

Have you already got another DNS server set up that will be handling the delgated sub domain/zone?

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: mis delegated zone ,now grayed out

Thank you for the response. No, I don't really think I wanted to delegate our site.net to the new student.site.net subdomain. The child dns server has no records that I recall. I am more curious as to what happened and what to do with or what will happen with the grayed out zone.
      --Steve

Comment

Working...
      X