Problem connecting PCs to new domain who use VPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem connecting PCs to new domain who use VPN

We just upgraded to a new Server 2003 domain, and all the computers on the LAN connected without a problem.

We do have some remote users who VPN in, and I was able to initially add them to the domain remotely with the successful "Welcome to the XXXXX domain".

When I try to actually logon as a user I get the following message :

"The system cannot log you on now because the domain XXXXX is not available"

If I logon as administrator of the local PC, I can enable the VPN software and map a network drive successfully.

Any one have a solution to actually logon as a network user eventhough I can't enable the VPN until I login?

Re: Problem connecting PCs to new domain who use VPN

Is it MS VPN client ? If so, you have an option to establish VPN session before logging in.

Otherwise, you need to authenticate the account against DC at least once so that it will be cached locally. Next time you will be able to log on using cached credentials and establish VPN session after you are in.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. We are using the SonicWall VPN.

I have connected to the domain by mapping a drive, but I don't think that cached the login; because I am still unable to login to the domain from the initial login screen. Any ideas?

Comment

use runas - this should cache the creds as far as I remember
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks for the runas suggestion.

I used the following command when logged in as administrator on the local machine and connected to the VPN and it worked :

runas /user:[email protected] "mmc %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc"

I picked compmgmt.msc so I can set the user to the administrators group under Local Users and Groups.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X