No announcement yet.

Active Directory problems in Advance server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory problems in Advance server

Hello all,

I have a problem and I am not too sure which way to tackle it for the best.

My server setup is the following.

2 DC's on one domain both running 2k server with sp4 and all recent updates installed. Both running DHCP and DNS.

The issue I have is that the main server is dying slowly and it appears that its the only server processing logons etc. I have checked server 2 as a Global catalogue server but it doesn't seem to be working. When I run a Dcdiag i get errors about the DC being down and when I look at the operations master on the server 1 it displays Error.

DNS seems to be working ok but I guess this issue will be down to DNS. Both servers have the SYSVOL share and are replication works between both servers.

I have read about seizing the roles but I want to fully understand this before I do it. Server one will have to be rebuilt the same name etc as its a main till server etc. My main question I guess is what happens when I seize the roles on this server, will people still be able to logon etc or once you have seized do you need to remove the server and rebuild it?

I am not sure where to go with this and all help would be greatly appreciated!
    Kind Regards,

Re: Active Directory problems in Advance server

Take a look at this about seizing FSMO roles:

Hope it helps

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Thanks for that, I have read it but I don't understand what happens to AD after you seize the role? Will AD still work on the server until its demoted?

Thanks for reply

Kind Regards,

Hello Si_Pe,

When you seize are FSMO role in AD you don't want to use that DC any more. Seizing a role should be a last resort and the DC probably doesn't even work at that point. After you seize the role you should remove that DC from AD using NTDSUTIL. Now just because you seized that role shouldn't stop you from rebuilding that DC from scratch.

Take a look at a video I did on transfering and seizing FSMO roles that may help you.