Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending the AD Schema

Hi There,

I need to modify the schema for my Active Directory. While i have a basic knowledge of the schema and tools to modify it i don't know enough to accomplish my goals - i've done lot's of reading on the subject but a lot of what is mentioned has gone way over my head so i was hoping someone could help me out.

We want to be able to keep a reliable database of computer names and IP addresses and i figured the easiest way to do this would be to add a field to the general tab for computer accounts that we can enter the IP address. I've read a lot of articles on how to do similar things for users and here's roughly what i've done:

- Added an attribute to the schema called ipAddress and made it of the Unicode String type
    - Added this attribute to the Computer Class
    - Attempted (albeit unsuccesfully) to use ADSI edit to modify the GUI so that this field appears under the general tab for computers in Active Directory.

Assuming what i've done for the first two steps is correct (i'm not sure that is) what i wold really like to know is how to properly go about adding the field to the GUI.

Cheers

Jonno

Re: Extending the AD Schema

Originally posted by jonno_2
    Assuming what i've done for the first two steps is correct (i'm not sure that is) what i wold really like to know is how to properly go about adding the field to the GUI.
    You can't make the attribute show up in ADU&C. What you can do is to add the attribute viewing/editing to the context menu of the object using displaySpecifiers. Check ou the following article on the subject:
    http://www.petri.com/add_unlock_user_option_to_dsa.htm

btw, why would you like to store the IP address in AD ? Why can't you query the DNS ? The data in AD will always be non authoritative and stale as long as you do not have some process that will update the attribute each time the IP is changed.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
    X