Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD redundant server removal

Hello,
    I had two redundant servers in my AD listings on my Win2k network. One was easily removed following the highly accurate instructions regarding metadata and ntdsutil on the Petri page. The other server was seemingly removed (since redoing the procedure shows only the proper servers present), except that I still cannot delete it from AD Directory Users and Computers. The error message is "The DSA data cannot be deleted", which anyone trying this on their own systems must have seen.

I have also been having trouble having new computers joining the network.

This is odd, since giving the computer a name and using the normal username and password results in the normal request to reboot. This happens and yet I can never make the computer join the network thereafter, even with totally different names, IP addresses, etc. Cannot discover why, and would appreciate any response.
    Regards,
    Paul

Re: AD redundant server removal

Have you tried ripping it out with adsiedit.msc?
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hello,
      Yes, but always I receive the MMC box stating
      Snap-in failed to initialize.
      Name - not available -
      CLSID: ( long listing )
      And, can't determine why it doesn't work.

Equally, all of the other computers on the network can see each other readily, even the latest IBM xSeries 220 8645-5AX that I obtained second-hand, and it was joined to the network in between two failures with the one that is giving trouble. Note that I have changed NICs, too.

Thanks, anyway
      Paul
      Last edited by dickins_paul; 24th May 2006, 03:34.

Comment

Hello,
        It would have helped me to have downloaded the Win2k Server SP4 Support Tools first. I had used the older set on my CD. Having installed the latest version, I have used adsi edit to successfully remove the redundant server.
        All I have to do now is to determine why this other server cannot join the domain.
        Thanks for the help,
        Paul

Comment

The error is usually a result of userAccountControl attribute of the computer account having flags set that specify that it's a DC.
          The following KB should help you to resolve the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;328775
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
          X