Active Directory Users and Computers with Exchange Extensions errors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Users and Computers with Exchange Extensions errors

To sum up what might be a long winded explaination my problem is: From a windows xp sp2 machine any editing of AD objects will hang the machine temporarily finally gagging up an error of "The server is not operational" - Facility: Win32 - ID no: 8007203a - Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension. If the machine does not have exchange extensions loaded editing works perfectly without hesitation (minus any changes to exchange attribs of course) Exchange Experts and Google are not helpful in the slightest based on the terms I can come up with...

The details which might have some clues:

Currently we have 3 windows 2003 sp1 DCs. One DC holds all the FSMO roles, and the other two are global catalogs. A fourth machine is a member server housing exchange. All machines are as patched as windows update allows.

We just renamed our domain recently and it was done a bit differently than Microsoft documentation states(due to a Microsoft rep) - Originally one of the three DCs was also the domain's exchange box. The rep on the phone had us remove exchange, remove exchange attributes from AD, demote the machine, rename the domain without the exchange tool step, rebuild exchange on the member box, reconnect the mailboxes.. It was a 'most of the day' phonecall involving multiple Microsoft reps, and the end result was the above problem.. So essentially I was hoping someone here would have seen this problem and I could avoid another huge call! We didnt notice the problem until a few weeks later... This is not a panic issue since I can go to the servers themselves and edit what I need to but I miss the ability to use AD users and computers as designed. (not to mention the long term problems this might be causing)

Thanks in advance, hopefully I didnt leave out too many details!

Re: Active Directory Users and Computers with Exchange Extensions errors

Does the ADU&C work from the servers with the Exchange extensions selected?

I'm wondering if it's something cached locally on the pc that hasn't been updated with the domain rename. Don't know if you've tried but could be worth removing one pc from the domain then rejoining, then see if it works.

Hope that was an 0800 number they had you call

Cheers

Dean

Comment

That is the freakish thing.. The member server Exchange box can use the exchange installed ADU&C, and one of the global catalog boxes has exchange aware ADU&C installed too, and both work.. its just workstations that gag. On the one workstation incidentally used during that marathon call I removed it from the domain already and rejoined to no effect, then tried a system restore and that didnt work, then rebuilt and rejoined the domain entirely.. the problem persists.

I've been running around in circles for awhile now looking for possibilities.. but any notions are appreciated!

Comment

It seems overall Im having global catalog issues! Other than turning it on, and having gc records in dns I dont know where to cure it Just looking up a membership list of a security group on the effected machine I got an error stating it couldnt locate a global catalog to secure a member list..

at least the error is different from the first one!

Comment

Most of AD problem started due DNS settings. Please verity correct DNS settings & DNS Zones..
          Please provide more details on the DNS settings in the domain.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=325322
          Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

I wish it was just a matter of primary DNS.. all workstations have our two DNS servers listed in the same manner, and each DNS server has an entry to each other server....

I can actually open ADU&C and browse about all I want.. it just hangs on edits when one clicks OK, after successfully clicking apply..

sigh..

It may be a Microsoft marathon after all

Thanks for the thoughts so far anyway

Comment

hello guys

i am new to ur comunity and running with the same problem

actually my problem started when my two dc were having replication problem with each other and in the process to resolve the issue i removed global catlog option from one of the dc.

now colud any one help me out how to come out of this issue.

i am also trying my best to get through it ,the moment i resolve the issue i will post it.

but if u get a solution sooner than me then do post it too.

thanks
              Last edited by santoshpandey; 14th August 2006, 08:45.

Comment

recreate a new topic and do not hijack this one.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                X