WMI access from Win2k to XP, but not vice-versa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMI access from Win2k to XP, but not vice-versa

I'd like to use WMI to administer domain computers, but for some reason remote WMI only works from a Windows 2k host. From an XP box I get 0x80070005 Access Denied error.

Since the same user can get remote access to WMI from a Win 2k machine I'm pretty sure the basic user permissions are adequate - does anyone know what XP does differently that's catching me out?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom SW

Re: WMI access from Win2k to XP, but not vice-versa

Not too clue'd up on WMI but could the windows XP firewall be causing the access denied?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I don't think so, as it's not stopping Win 2k computers connecting. And turning it off makes no difference.

This is really a very Active Directory question, I realise - originally I thought I could only connect from the PDC and hence perhaps it was AD-related. Would it be bad form to post the same query in a different forum?

Ta,
      Tom SW

Comment

I use XP pro as my client here at work and use WMI to connect to the server, which are all 2K with no problems.

*EDIT*

Have a look through these and see if it helps.

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...s+Denied+error

It may also be useful to post the script that you are using.
        Last edited by wullieb1; 15th February 2006, 14:27.

Comment

Working...
        X