DFS Replication errors after DC demotion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS Replication errors after DC demotion

I am testing upgrading my AD Win2008 R2 -to- Win2012 R2, using cloned and isolated copies of my DCs. I successfully added a Win2012 R2 DC to my Win2008 R2 domain. Then I demoted the Win2008 R2 DCs. That went well, with this exception:

DCDIAG is showing me DFS Replication errors (0xC0001394) about failing to communicate with partner <Win2008 R2 DC> for replication of the Domain System Volume.

(event id 5012 error 9026)

Well, yeah - that isn't a DC anymore, just a member server, so it has nothing to do with the Domain System Volume anymore. But what I can't figure out is why the Win2012 server is still trying to talk to it at all, after it was gracefully demoted.

I added the DFS Namespaces and DFS Replication roles to the Win2012 server (now the only DC in that domain). And under Replication, I see the Domain System Volume, but I see no references to any other server.

"DFSRDIAG dumpadcfg" isn't showing any reference to the demoted WIn2008 DC ...

DFSRADMIN mem list /rgname:"Domain System Volume" shows only 1 member - the Win2012 DC.

Most of the Google search results are for cleaning up metadata after unsuccessful demotion. But mine gracefully demoted - it isn't still listed as a DC. Ntdsutil metadata cleanup doesn't show the old server as something to be removed, either. The old DC is not in Sites and Services anymore, either (I removed it).

I looked at the Topology under Domain System Volume in DFSR-GlobalSettings, in System, in ADUC - nothing there about the old DC there, either.

The DFSR Health Report lists the errors, but tells me all servers are available for reporting. A propagation test from the sole DC passes, as it shows no members (which is correct, as there are no other members for DFS).

So at this point I am stumped. Anyone have any pointers? I'm guessing I need to clean up AD, probably using ADSIEdit. But I can't find where ..

Thanks

Re: DFS Replication errors after DC demotion

How long has this been going on? 10 mins? 8 hours?

What is the DNS server your 2012 DC is pointing to? Is it pointing to itself (and is DNS installed on your DC)?

You can run Dfsrdiag PollAD from the command prompt to have the DFS configuration update from AD immediately. If you are not pointing to the proper DNS server, change the DNS config and then run Dfsrdiag PollAD.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      What is the DNS server your 2012 DC is pointing to? Is it pointing to itself (and is DNS installed on your DC)?.
      There is only 1 DC in the domain, the 2012 server (actually, it's the only thing in the domain, there are no workstations or other member servers; this is an isolated domain for testing things - like DFSR, AD upgrades, etc). It is also the DNS server for the domain. It points to itself, yes.

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      You can run Dfsrdiag PollAD from the command prompt to have the DFS configuration update from AD immediately. If you are not pointing to the proper DNS server, change the DNS config and then run Dfsrdiag PollAD.
      Looks like DFSRDIAG POLLAD did the trick (I was unaware of this command before). There have been no DFS errors in this domain since I ran this command, and it refreshed the DFS configuration from AD.

Thanks!

Comment

Glad to help.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X