No announcement yet.

Added 2TB HDD to AD Server and now have GPO issues.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added 2TB HDD to AD Server and now have GPO issues.

Hi there, I am a new member of I was just looking for solution for the problem that I am having with Windows server 2008r2. It was the recent post and replied here hoping that I could get some help from experts.
    Here is my problem looks like; I had active directory domain controller and about 65 users were connected to it. I had deployed multiple group policies and it was working fine. I had to add some space in the server and to support more that 2TB in one partition, I had to convert MBR to GPT. At that time my full backup was useless so I added secondary domain controller and did gracefull transfer all FSMOs to secondary server. I added hard disk and converted the partition. It was a fresh installation but the server name was same. Again I transferred back all the FSMOs to this new server with the same name as the primary server before.
    Now I have problem with gpo. I tried to add some new gpos and tried to modify some, it wont work. May be it works if I remove profile from the workstations but it would be very hard for me to do on 65 or more workstations.
    I had already followed some tips on deleting secedit file and registry entries.
    It would be really thankful if I could get some tips on this.
    Thank you
    Last edited by biggles77; 16th February 2015, 15:36. Reason: Tried to make better title name.

Re: Added 2TB HDD to AD Server and now have GPO issues.

As requested by a highly respected and knowledgeable man with heavy/strong accent, this post was split from another thread.

This Thread Title is mine so if Satish Dangol has one they would prefer please let us know what they want it to be and it shall be changed.

For future information Satish Dangol. please do NOT hi-jack another Members thread.

Thank you.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: Added 2TB HDD to AD Server and now have GPO issues.

Did you decommission the old DC before building the new one with the same name?
      or did you restore to the new drive?

(I am trying to establish if the machine has a new SID or not - if it does, you will have to flatten it, clean up AD, and do a rebuild
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **