weird AD issue between 2012r2 & 2003r2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird AD issue between 2012r2 & 2003r2

I ran into this issue earlier today which is something I haven't seen before.

Current setup is 1 Forest & 1 Domain with a single Domain Controller (W2003 R2) which obviously has all the FSMO roles since it's the only DC in the domain ever installed. We're ready to decommission this OLD W2003r2 server so I prepped a new machine and installed Windows Server 2012 r2 on it, all patched up.

Done the followings:

1. Joined the new server to the domain (successful)

2. promoted the new server to a domain controller (successful without any errors or warnings)

3. Verified that the DNS records have replicated from the primary DC to the 2nd DC (successful)

4. Verified that I was able to access the AD services on the new domain controller, users, ou's, sites etc. (successful)

5. Verified replication of AD objects by adding users/ou's/distribution groups on Primary DC and see them replicate over and vice-versa (successful)

I waited about an hour just to make sure that everything has replicated over and was in sync and decided to shutdown the primary server (domain controller) to make sure things were functional on the new one and as soon as the old DC was shutdown I wasn't able to open any of the AD services like AD Domain and Trusts, AD users and computers or AD Sites and Services. The window opened but my domain wasn't listed and neither of the related objects. What is the issue here? Shouldn't the secondary domain controller be a replica of the primary where I can see all the objects and make changes which will sync back once the primary comes up again. I've worked in setups where we had two DC's in one domain and I was able to view the AD objects and services regardless if one of the DC was not available, same thing in a setup with 3 DC's.

If someone can chime in on this it would be great, I'm not sure if I'm missing but it's weird.

Regards

Re: weird AD issue between 2012r2 & 2003r2

First of all, there's no concept of primary, secondary or backup domain controllers.

Secondly, what is the new server using as preferred and secondary DNS servers in it's DNS client settings?

Thirdly, when open any of the Active Directory tools, are they connecting to the new DC or the old DC?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      First of all, there's no concept of primary, secondary or backup domain controllers.

Secondly, what is the new server using as preferred and secondary DNS servers in it's DNS client settings?

Thirdly, when open any of the Active Directory tools, are they connecting to the new DC or the old DC?
      Old DC's DNS: Preferred pointing to itself and secondary pointing to the new server.
      New DC's DNS: Preferred pointing to itself and secondary pointing to the old server.

The Active Directory tools is setup to point to any writeable domain which in my case both old server and new server should be writable as far as I understand.

ps. Under the Forwarders Tab in DNS what should the old DC have and what should I have in the new DC? Because another thing I noticed that when I shutdown the old server the new server was taking forever to resolve to certain websites and everything was dragging even though it's preferred DNS was pointing to itself (new to new) any thoughts on that?

THanks

Comment

you should configure the new server as a Global Catalog.
        and give it more time to replicate all data.

Comment

Have you also transferred all the FSMO roles from the 'old' DC to the new DC?

The forwarders should point to your ISP's DNS server's addresses. That should sort out your lengthy resolving issues.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
          X