Help understand DNS name choice during NT4 to 2003 upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help understand DNS name choice during NT4 to 2003 upgrade

Before anybody scolds me for not knowing what I am doing, please know that this scenerio is only being performed on a test network.

That being said, I am evaluating upgrading our very small and simple network from NT4 to 2003.

My scenerio:

1 NT4 DC
    1 NT4 Member Server
    1 W2K Member Server

1 Domain and 20 users.

Using an interim box, I installed NT4 as a BDC and promoted it to DC. Then I upgrade it to 2003.

Everything is going smoothly and I have ironed out some gotcha' in the process. My question is naming the Full DNS Name for the New Domain.

I have read through all the Tech notes and such but am still confused as to how to name it for our situation. I am going to go through some test scenarios in the lab setup but would really like to get some input from anyone that has some knowledge first.

We have a website that is hosted by a third party hosting compnay but we may want to host it ourself eventually. Our current domain name is not the same as our website domain.

Should the DNS name be currentwebsite.com or something like internal.currentwebsite.com ?

Any insight is very much appreciated!

Re: Help understand DNS name choice during NT4 to 2003 upgrade

We have a website that is hosted by a third party hosting compnay but we may want to host it ourself eventually. Our current domain name is not the same as our website domain.
    The first thing to realize is that Active Directory will have an internal DNS namespace that is not visible to the outside world. Your site will have an external namespace. That means that, very likely, these DNS domains will run on different DNS servers.

Should the DNS name be currentwebsite.com or something like internal.currentwebsite.com ?
    The easiest thing to do, and the least likely to break anything, is to use a different name for AD.

There is one more thing to realize. You will upgrade your domain, but you will keep the netbios name. In addition, the AD domain will have a DNS name. It is good practice to give the child domain of the DNS name the netbios name. Say that your NT4 domain is named NT4DOMAIN now. Then, for example, the names of the AD domain would be:

netbios name: NT4DOMAIN
    dns name: nt4domain.local.

If you have a DNS name like this: nt4domain.currentwebsite.com you will need to do some DNS trickery to get your website working for internal people. Not impossible, just something to be aware of.

Comment

What if we want to change our old NT4 domain name during the upgrade process? We have a new company name and would like to have the NETBIOS name reflect the new new name.

Is it possible and practical to change the domain name during the upgrade process? If so, what are the implications on the network?

Thank you!

Comment

I should have been more clear. You cannot change the netbios name during upgrade. If you require a new netbios name, you need to migrate to a new and fresh domain.

Note that this new company name illustrates why it might not be a good idea to use the company name in a network name...

Comment

Working...
        X