Mult Master domain with multiple DNS servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mult Master domain with multiple DNS servers

I am looking to set up an Active Directory domain with multi-masters. We have two major sites, one of which already has a domain controller. I would like to set up the second site, but the link between the sites is only a T1 (it is also used for internet/phone traffic) so if all DNS requests went over this link, it could very well overwhelm the network.

What I would like to do is when I set up the second domain controller, I would like to set up an AD integrated DNS server on it as well, so that DNS requests go there versus going over the T1 link.

How would I go about doing this?
    Last edited by IanP; 1st February 2006, 02:28. Reason: Spelling error

Re: Mult Master domain with multiple DNS servers

Your AD infrastructure should be split in two sites.
    Main advantage is that AD replication between sites can be optimized.
    You can set up a time schedule for the replication (when and how many times per hour)
    You will need at least one DC in the new site. It will be also the Global C, and DNS server for the new site. In this way not only DNS requests but authentications will take place locally.
    Here is a good link how to implement a new site.
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...380/13380.html

Regards,
    Csaba
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Thanks for the help. This doesn't answer any of the DNS questions though.

Comment

Hello IanP,
        Sorry, I will try to explain you again; maybe my previous answer was not very clear.
        So, I understand that you are worried about the interstice traffic generated by dns requests.
        You told us abut AD integrated DNS server. This server must be DC. I guess that your zone or zones are also AD integrated. If so, they are replicated with AD. Setting up a two site infrastructure this replication can be closely controlled.
        Users will use the local DC as a DNS server. This DNS server will be authoritative for your zones, so these requests won't go through T1.

You told us that this T1 is also used for the Internet. You can configure the local DNS server to use your ISP DNS serer as the forwarder for Internet based requests.
        http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...rver_2003.html

If you still need more help, please don't hesitate to contact me.
        Csaba
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Working...
        X