Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS in a DC (Windows 2012 R2)

Hello,

I installed WSUS in a Domain controller (Windows 2012 R2).

It is not working, and I have read that it might be a Domain controller issue, not being able to have the WSUS role at the same time.

Could that be so?

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: WSUS in a DC (Windows 2012 R2)

Could you give us any further clues about what is not working?

I have had issues with the .net framework (3.5) on server 2012r2 (not just on a DC) and this, IIRC, affected WSUS among other things
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot Ossian.

It fails in the post instalation configuration, which Windows 2012 R2 tries to perform, unsuccesfully. This Windows 2012 R2 is a DC, brand new.

I read and apparently I should remove a folder within IIS , but it did not work for me. That is why I was wondering it was just that a Domain controler should not be home for a WSUS server.

Once more: Many thanks!
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

I set up a 2012 R2 DC (a secondary one) then installed WSUS on it with only the following issue. I couldn't install, sorry ADD the 3.5 DotNet Framework so I could use the ReportViewer. It was suggested in another thread on here somewhere that you need to disable UAC, reboot and try adding 3.5 again. Unfortunately I no longer had access to the DC/WSUS Server to try that but to answer your question Luis, WSUS does run nicely on a DC.

Are there any error windows dazzling you with their pop-uped-ness?
        Anything in the Event Viewer?
        Try killing UAC, rebooting and trying it again.

Avoid electing Drivers in the WSUS options as they take up a shi......, a lot of space. Running Win7, Win8, Office 2010, Office 2013 and Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012 R2 and the space used was around 160GB.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I used WSUS on DC's for several years without any problems.

What would be useful is if you could post the actual error message you are seeing. A screenshot would be even better.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks a lot both Biggles77 and Blood.

That is all I wanted to know, if it was possible. Then it must be another issue I will have to dig into.

MANY THANKS!
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
            X