Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing windows server 2012 R2 standard and configuring AD

Greetings,
    very small network. Firewall/router provided by ISP.
    I know that AD likes having DHCP and DNS installed on the server.
    The firewall/router is currently providing DHCP. Since some computers in the building are connected to that firewall/router but not part of AD, I can't just switch off the firewall/router's DHCP server.

Wondering how to crack this nut. Should I install a router between the AD and the firewall/router? Or is there a better way to handle it ?

thanks.

Re: installing windows server 2012 R2 standard and configuring AD

I know that AD likes having DHCP and DNS installed on the server

AD doesn't care whether DHCP is running on the Windows Server or on something else.

Since some computers in the building are connected to that firewall/router but not part of AD, I can't just switch off the firewall/router's DHCP server

Sure you can. The Windows DHCP server doesn't care if the computers and devices are members of the AD domain or not.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      I know that AD likes having DHCP and DNS installed on the server

AD doesn't care whether DHCP is running on the Windows Server or on something else.
      As a somwhat dissenting voice - AD wants Windows DNS in use (SRV records etc) and unless the Routers DHCP server can specify an internal DNS server (most, IMHO, don't) you really should use Windows DHCP server with the DC set up as the DNS server

(I agree with Joe's original statement, but felt clarification was needed)

It is a fairly normal configuration - a Windows server providing AD, DNS and DHCP, disabling DHCP on the router and only using it as a NAT gateway
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Good point, Tom. The routers DHCP server may not be able to assign the internal DNS server(s) to DHCP clients, which would be a reason to run DHCP on the server.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.
          Will install DHCP on AD server and disable DHCP on firewall/router.

Comment

Working...
          X